This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't change my system settings?!?

For some reason I am unable to get into "add/remove programs" and I can only view (not change) in Adept. I am using Kubuntu 6.06 LTS: the Dapper Drake Release. If I go to add/remove programs I get this message:

"Another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one."

I don't have ANY Adept applications running. I then try to open Adept and I get this message:

"You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install, remove or upgrade software), because another process is using the packaging system database (probably some other Adept application or apt-get or aptitude). Please close the other application before using this one."

It then lets me open Adept, but I can't make any changes. I then close the application and try the whole thing over again and nothing changes.
    I've also noticed that the Adepts update icon isn't there anymore.
    I can still use Konsole to install things, so I'm not completely washed-up. Am I going to have to do something drastic like clearing my hard drive and starting over? If so, what is the proper way to go about this? Any insight will help.

Re: I can't change my system settings?!?

To fix Adept errors:
    Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    should fix it, else continue with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install
    This should fix your problem. Please post back if you run into problems.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That fixed it!!! Thanks for the speedy reply. I will be sure to ask more questions in the future.

Comment

Great! Glad to have been able to assist. Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums and the Linux family.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X