This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running out of disk have spare

I have a drive that I would like to use or incorporate into main system usage, any help would be appreciated
    thanks

Re: running out of disk have spare

If you can install it mechanically, connect it with the proper cable to your motherboard, and your BIOS recognizes it correctly, then adding it to your Linux media isn't too tough.

What do you want to do, simply add it as storage space, or do you want to install Kubuntu on it?

Comment

its hooked up and recognized i just don't think its being used other than an experimental use of Linux

Comment

Originally posted by lighthouse
        its hooked up and recognized i just don't think its being used other than an experimental use of Linux
        I'm not sure about everyone else but it's not clear to me what you mean by experimental use. Has it been mounted? What file system does it use? Are you simply trying to add it as extra storage space?

Comment

it was used for earlier linux installation , which is no longer used,
          It is formatted as ext3 and is dev sdb1
          can it be linked to operating disk to extend memory for system usage somehow

Comment

I'm not sure of the meaning of the phrase "extend memory for system usage somehow", so I'm going to ignore it

What you can do fairly easily is to move your /home and all it's subdirectories to /dev/sdb1. Pardon me, if this is not what you mean or if my instructions insult your intelligence.
            (0) Search this site and google/linux for detailed instructions. I remember reading them once but I can't recall where. In general terms, and in the order given below, follow these steps:
            (1) make a /etc/fstab entry and a directory entry in /media for /media/sdb1
            (2)make a directory called "/newhome", (or whatever) on /media/sdb1.
            (3)COPY /home/ and everything under it to /media/sdb1/newhome DON'T FORGET dotfiles and dotted directory trees (like .kde).
            (4)VERIFY that /newhome is usable
            (5)edit your /etc/fstab file to put /home on /dev/sdb1
            (5*) change the name /newhome to /home and the name /dev/sda?/home to whatever
            I'M NOT SURE OF THE ORDER OF STEPS 5 AND 5*, so be careful.
            (6)After you are SURE that this worked (I'd give it 3 months), you can wipe your old home and use that space for something else.

Comment

Working...
            X