This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.gift folder filling up /home partition

This is a strange one to me, but maybe someone knows the answer. I have a 10GB /home partition, more than I'd ever use I thought. But when downloading a file, ftp threw up an error message saying "cannot write to disk, disk full"

At that stage I knew I had about 4.5BG of downloads, so in theory there should have been about 5.5GB spare space left.

I eventually found that the hidden file .gift had mirrored everything on the desktop (which included the 4.5GB download) Hence there was less than 1GB free space left, and a part download had just filled that.

Has anyone struck this before? and what is the permanent cure?

I freed up space by deleting the duplicated folders from the desktop that were in the .gift folder.

Re: .gift folder filling up /home partition

Hi,

It's quite strange I even don't have a .gift file or folder in my home... Maybe it's the download utility you're using, no ?

Comment

Originally posted by sky
      Hi,

It's quite strange I even don't have a .gift file or folder in my home... Maybe it's the download utility you're using, no ?
      giFT is a P2P program
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

If you have another folder you can put all that gift stuff in, you can move the .gift folder there and then drag that .gift folder back to your /home folder and select "link here." That way your .gift folder will appear to be in your /home folder but will really live somewhere where you have more space.
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
        X