X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need (K)Ubuntu assistance in BURUNDI and BOTSWANA

Need (K)Ubuntu assistance in BURUNDI and BOTSWANA

Hi, I do not know which FORUM to go to, to ask this - please help me to redirect it

I have friends in both Burundi (Muyinga, Central Africa) and Botswana (Gaborone, Southern Africa) who would like to start using Ubuntu. I have showed and convinced them of the value of switching to Ubuntu while they were on a visit to South Africa (where I stay). Because of their work both of them are very influential people who will most likely bring a lot of new users to the Ubuntu scene once they themselves have started using ubuntu. However, both of them are older people. The fact that they are older is both a drawback as well as a positive. It is a drawback in the sense that they have no PC software installing experience and will not be able to install Ubuntu without wrecking havoc on their systems. It is a positive because of their age (older, not old though!) and large influence, they will probably convert many of their nationals to the Ubuntu scene. That is the reason I took time with them to make sure that they would want to start using Ubuntu.

I would like to know if there is anyone in Burundi (near Muyinga - preferably speaking French but English can also work and installing the French version of HardyH ) or Botswana (at Gaborone, English HardyH) who could would have enough experience to install (K)Ubuntu for them. How do I go about finding out about this? Canonical, would you perhaps know of anyone to whom I could refer? Anyone who could refer this to Canonical? I would not like to give the names of the two gentlemen in these countries here as this is a somewhat open forum, but will personally take it up with anyone who could assist. Please send me a e-mail address if you know of someone who could assist in both these countries.

Rusty at rustypc1@gmail.com
    8 June 2008

Re: Need (K)Ubuntu assistance in BURUNDI and BOTSWANA

I would suggest going directly to here:
    http://www.canonical.com/
    or here:
    http://www.canonical.com/node/22

and see what they can do for you and your friends.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

By all means contact Canonical as Fintan suggested. You should be aware, however, that Canonical is a corporate entity devoted to providing commercial support for the *buntu distributions. I fear that, although they will be friendly, you will be disappointed. I suspect that you may be more successful by contacting the appropriate Ubuntu LoCo Team. be sure to check both the list of established teams and the list of teams that are still starting up. BTW, there is a South Africa team, and there others in the process of formation in Kenya, Tanzania and Zimbabwe (as well as some farther north). So you might find knowledgable people with contacts in Burundi and Botswana.

Comment

Askrieger is right. I was looking for that link but couldn't find it. and the sun was bekonning

Good luck
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanx guys,
          I did contact Canonical - and, yes, they were friendly but could not help! I live in South Africa (part of the northern loco - Johannesburg), but, i have no contact with the 2 countries mentioned.

I had hoped someone from the Linux community knows someone who is Linux knowledgable in either Burundi or Botswana who could assist.
          Should I cross-post to a wider forum and see if something jumps out? Which forum would be best?
          greetings
          Rusty

Comment

Working...
          X