X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTY question

Probably that type of question "If you need to ask, you don't need to know"
    ---
    Can I start kdm/X windows server in tty. I would like to use CTRL-ALT-F2 / CTRL-ALT-F7 as an easy way to switch between two sessions...
    I looked on google but nothing like that was described anywhere...

And I this is not possible, can anyone explain me the reason of tty's?
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: TTY question

You can start X from tty 1-6. X runs always in tty 7. Only one (1) X window will run on your single-user PC. You can run multiple CLI sessions at the same time in tty 1 - 6.

Perhaps you want "multiple desktops" instead of "multiple X sessions"? If you right-click on your desktop, and choose "configure desktop", then you can choose "multiple desktops" and set that to 4 to have 4 desktops available. Or if your graphics card is capable, you can install Compiz and have multiple desktops that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Primoz
      Probably that type of question "If you need to ask, you don't need to know"
      ---
      Can I start kdm/X windows server in tty.
      Only if you don't already have X running. Type 'startx'. And then I think the x server gets started on 7 as usual.
      I would like to use CTRL-ALT-F2 / CTRL-ALT-F7 as an easy way to switch between two sessions...
      I looked on google but nothing like that was described anywhere...
      K Menu > Switch User > Start New Session (up to you if you want to lock the current. The new session is normally started on F8, but might be F9.

And I this is not possible, can anyone explain me the reason of tty's?
      To allow you to use multiple text terminals.

Oh, and don't try to run X windows as root (either logged in or by sudo) in ubuntu. There were and perhaps are some nasty bugs which can render your normal user unable to use X. Login as the normal user, and run programs as root using sudo (for cli programs) or kdesudo (for gui programs).
      I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

I already have Compiz with multiple desktop cube...
        I just wanted to know if its possible...
        So if I understand correctly this should work with multiple users?
        And yes I forgot about start new session button (best to use that one)
        But this might come handy, as once I couldn't get my X to work, so i was stuck in tty.
        I had to reinstall, the whole computer.

Thanks for your help!
        I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

Working...
        X