This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap Partition

What is the use of the swap partition. When does it get used. I have the computer on and I'm surfing the inter web, downloading a torrent, listening to music on amarok and K3b ripping some tracts. I also have another session of firefox running with several tabs open. Despite all the processes running the swap is not being used at all. Seems to me misuse of 2 gigs of hard disc space.

Re: Swap Partition

All about Linux swap space
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the info Snowhog. Makes me understand what it's intended to do but i never seem to have anything in the swap partition.

Comment

And for the K/X/ubuntu: Swap Partition FAQ

This FAQ is aimed at Linux novices.

People always wonder how much swap they should put on install, or after installing without a clue think "oh my god", have I put enough swap? Maybe I should just reinstall with more swap?

This FAQ will tell you how much swap you need and how to add more swap after installation.

You will be given very simple answers (so that you do not have to lose too much time reading this FAQ) and some explanations that may help you make your own opinion.
        Also:
        Performance tuning with ''swappiness''

The swappiness parameter controls the tendency of the kernel to move processes out of physical memory and on to the swap disk. As disks are much slower than RAM, this can lead to slower response times for system and applications if processes are too aggressively moved out of memory...
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
        X