This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop recommendations, anyone?

Hi, I am looking to extend my collection of boxes with CPU inside by adding a laptop running linux, most likely kubuntu (debian is an alternative).

I want it to be as "open" as practically possible and if I can start using it without having to remove crap software such as some varieties of not relevant operating systems, that will be just fine. However, 3D acceleration is a must, even if loads of memory for the gfx card isn't.

Any happy linux laptop users with a hardware recommendation out there?

Re: Laptop recommendations, anyone?

Linux on Laptops
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks, that was a lot of information although rather disorganised imho. sorting by brand name isn't really helpful when looking for something new I see the point if you are going to hack some equipment already in store though.

Comment

From the Linux Certified web site:
        Linux Laptops
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Excuse me for the bump but I have been putting this off for a while
          Hmm...I can't find information on one of the models I am mostly interested in:
          HP pavilion dv2819nr (<--link)

Any reports of this...even hipshooting feedback accepted.

Comment

I don't know anything about that particular model, but I can point you to an article that you might find interesting It's a comparison of a number of machines with pre-installed Linux from a number of vendors.

Comment

Never mind, sometimes you just happen to make up your mind without all the information required to make a justified decision. I just walked by the BestBuy store in the neighborhood and woops! suddenly there was a Toshiba Satelite u405 laptop in my arms

I think this one shall run linux better since it has intel equipment (open source drivers yeah) rather than nvidia/amd (closed source drivers booh!)

The other reason I settled for the toshiba was that it is actually smaller and reportedly runs less hot (although that might be different under linux).

Next decision is whether I shall go for the "final solution"-approach of simply wiping vista off the disk and install linux from scratch or dualboot it. decisions, decisions.

I will try with the livedisk first, just spending some time removing bloatware like MS office demos etc.

Comment

For others who may read this thread:

The laptop you need depends on your needs.

Do you want:
                lightweight or a big screen?
                accelerated graphics or long battery life?

Usually those are the tradeoffs in models currently available. Good linux support typically means checking out the model your interested in on the web for other's experiences with that hardware. However, Intel wifi and Nvidia graphics are well supported by the proprietary drivers. AMD and Intel CPUs are both well supported. Suspend and resume for suspend and hibernate can be problematic on any laptop and depends on the hardware and the distro you choose to install.

I can say that it is a bit of luck to have everything work without all the research beforehand. Dell has a line of Ubuntu based laptops. I've done some admin on a 1420N from Dell that came with Gutsy and it was really nice to have Skype and Ekiga just work for video and audio. It doesn't suspend well with occasional lockups happening, but if you don't use suspend, you can use the hibernate function reliably. Checking each hardware part out for Linux support before you buy is the best thing to do if your not buying from a vendor that guarantees everything is going to work. Otherwise, if you can boot a store model with a current Knoppix CD or DVD, you can find out a lot.

If you have the money, Emperor Linux is fantastic as they do the hard work to get all the hardware running. I've known a person with a laptop supported by Emperor Linux and the support was very well done. All the hardware was made to work and the technical support during their support agreement time frame was excellent.
                Best wishes,
                Dow

Comment

Working...
                X