This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me solve a RAM/shared Video RAM issue

OK, this is for my ACER listed in my sig. I have 1.5GB RAM. Currently the orig. 512MB stick from ACER and a 1GB sick from Crucial. All work wonderfully. Bought another 1GB stick from Crucial and put it in place of the 512MB. Boot, all seems fine. Start Compiz and immediately get a corrupt screen and a hard lock on the system. Have to turn off the system via the power button. Reboot and don't start Compiz and it takes close to 10 to 15 minutes of use and the same thing occurs. Worked a little while longer but still corrupted. Leads me to believe it is caused by how the shared RAM is being used. It's not isolated to Kubuntu either. Boot into XP and the same thing occurs. This is shared RAM with the Video. The BIOS is set to 128mb. It was set on MAXNVT (I think that is what is called) but thinking that was the cause changed it to 128MB. It wasn't the issue. The memory matches perfectly among the Crucial sticks and the ACER stick, so I'm at a loss as to why. I put the ACER stick back in and with any Crucial stick and all works great! ACER says it can go up to 2GB, but this is making me think it can't? Anybody?? Please??

Re: Help me solve a RAM/shared Video RAM issue

Have you tried with the memtest86 ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Yep. Made it through pass 1 with no problems and half way through pass 2 before I ended it. All is fine currently. I'm on it now getting ready to start Compiz to see what happens.

Comment

Well, after the MEM test and rebooting and having Compiz on for nearly an 1.5 hours, it hasn't locked up yet. Very strange. I've never heard of "conditioning" RAM before. So far so good. We'll see.

Edit: Dang it! Spoke to soon! Did it again What is going on!!??

Comment

Anybody else have any ideas? I really would like to get my laptop up to the MAX.

Comment

No One??!!

Comment

Just a guess. Could be some sort of heat problem caused by the extra RAM. Straw that broke the camel's back theory.

Comment

Working...
              X