This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install went ok, starts to boot but screen stays black indefinatly

I installed several times and several copies (gutsy, feisty, dapper, ubuntu, simply mepis) the only one i got to start to a desktop was dapper, the rest seem to install fine but when it tells me to remove disk and boot for the first time it seems to start booting but then stays black. Dapper started but i still tried others because i could not get my wireless usb working. I am very new to linux, i only ran dapper 2 days. I will probably install that again because it seemed to work. I would like to know if there is something i can do to get the others to load to a desktop.
    A few thoughts. I am installing as a single boot so i use the entire hard disk. Do i need to blank my hard drive before reinstalling? i assumed it would blank it out when it goes through the partition portion. Do all of these have gui desktops on them (i thoght so). So you know i am installing on a 733 mhz dell with 512 mb ram and an ati all in wonder video agp video card, 10 gig hard drive, cd rom. another though do i have to have internet plugged in for this all to work for some reason. Any help would be very appreciated. I am trying to explore an option other than continuing to buy windows stuff. if this all works i hope to replace my other machines xp mce 2005 someday with something other than vista. Thanks in advance. Also any advice for a true newby would be great.

Re: install went ok, starts to boot but screen stays black indefinatly

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0
    How to get started with no GUI

Well, I got this from dibl (again).
    Seems to be the standard first place to start here.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
    X