This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory card reader

OK - nothing Kubuntu here, but I got a Linux compatible (they say) 3 1/2 inch bay card reader. The problem is this:

The card reader has a nine pin connector. The motherboard has a ten pin - and is USB1. The manual for the reader specifies no ten pin connector.

But the USB 2 board only have a standard 4-pin internal connector.

Does any of you happen to know a solution for this?

Re: Memory card reader

I see there have been no replies to your question, and I'm not able to offer any guidance on your card reader, except to say that I use a USB 2.0 external card reader that works perfectly, and handles all of the common cards, and I think I only paid about $15 for it.

Comment

As far as pinned USB connectors go on Motherboards (Mainboards) it is entirely dependent on the manufacturer. However, the point about a nine and a ten pin connection, usually they bridge the two grounds into one. So instead of having two grounds they just link the second into the first.
      So you would have:
      2 - Data send (USB Ports)
      2 - Data receive (USB Ports)
      1 - Data send (Card Reader)
      1 - Data Receive (Card Reader)
      2 - Power - (shared over the devices)
      1 - Power + (ground) w/ one dummy that would link to the main ground (also shared)
      (correct me if I'm wrong)

If your second board has only 4 pins, it would make me think that it would have come with, or expected to have, an expansion dongle (expansion dummy card) for 2 extra USB ports). It doesn't have the extra pins for a card reader, that I would expect would have come with your last Motherboard.
      You need to think of the card reader as an extra USB device specific to the Motherboard. The problem being is that the new Motherboard that you have purchased doesn't have the same connection (ie. the card reader isn't hardwired to the board). You could figure out which lines control the card reader and re-wire them into a USB plug and get the same results as you had before.... but since you're asking the question I would assume that that is not common knowledge to you, nor would it be expecting with anyone, you should just discard the card reader you have and purchase a new mult-card reader if it is so needed
      Man by his very nature is dependent on other men.

Comment

Originally posted by SIR_Taco
        As far as pinned USB connectors go on Motherboards (Mainboards) it is entirely dependent on the manufacturer. However, the point about a nine and a ten pin connection, usually they bridge the two grounds into one. So instead of having two grounds they just link the second into the first.
        So you would have:
        2 - Data send (USB Ports)
        2 - Data receive (USB Ports)
        1 - Data send (Card Reader)
        1 - Data Receive (Card Reader)
        2 - Power - (shared over the devices)
        1 - Power + (ground) w/ one dummy that would link to the main ground (also shared)
        (correct me if I'm wrong)

If your second board has only 4 pins, it would make me think that it would have come with, or expected to have, an expansion dongle (expansion dummy card) for 2 extra USB ports). It doesn't have the extra pins for a card reader, that I would expect would have come with your last Motherboard.
        You need to think of the card reader as an extra USB device specific to the Motherboard. The problem being is that the new Motherboard that you have purchased doesn't have the same connection (ie. the card reader isn't hardwired to the board). You could figure out which lines control the card reader and re-wire them into a USB plug and get the same results as you had before.... but since you're asking the question I would assume that that is not common knowledge to you, nor would it be expecting with anyone, you should just discard the card reader you have and purchase a new mult-card reader if it is so needed
        Yes, th is is about what I was able to read from the documentation of the mother board and the USB device. So, as I can only get 1 of each from the motherboard - I traded the internal device for a card reader, and will try fixing it inside. Not all that elegant, but it works.

Comment

Working...
        X