X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ease of Windows Vs the Hardness of Linux

Originally posted by Runaway1956
    ...Well, they guy who doesn't even know how to open a "dos box" or "command prompt" isn't competent to use a computer.
    loool, ok I like this, am starting to love this community.
    Well, myself, I used to tell ppl how ignorance they are because they cannot do simple things on computers.
    Anyways, as for my problem here.

I tried:
    --------
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/sdb2/boot$ sudo rename initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
    Bareword "initrd" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 1) line 1.
    Bareword "img" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 1) line 1.
    Bareword "generic" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 1) line 1.
    Bareword "bak" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at (eval 1) line 1.
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/sdb2/boot$ ls
    abi-2.6.22-14-generic initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.dpkg-bak
    config-2.6.22-14-generic memtest86+.bin
    grub System.map-2.6.22-14-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/sdb2/boot$
    --------
    Then:
    --------
    initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/sdb2/boot$ sudo mv initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
    abi-2.6.22-14-generic initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
    initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.dpkg-bak vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    --------
    Then realized that after booting & still not working, that it has to be DOT NOTHING.
    --------
    abi-2.6.22-14-generic initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
    initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.dpkg-bak vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    ubuntu@ubuntu:/media/sdb2/boot$ sudo mv initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic
    --------
    You may now congratulate me for being able to boot, but condolences are acceptable as well, cause I do not have any GUI

All what I have is the CLI login,
    BTW, I've executed "sudo update-initramfs -u -v", just to be in the picture "But it solved nothing"

Any ideas? BTW, after I've read the other posts & seen the experience & patience of ppl here, I feel I'm in total safe hands, thnx guys.

Comment

The command to rename a file isn't "rename" in Linux. You use the command mv. So, type:
      Code:
      sudo mv initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The command to rename a file isn't "rename" in Linux. You use the command mv. So, type:
        Code:

sudo mv initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.img
        Yes, I did that already & it worked.

------

Ok, to clear things even more, I thought I should reinstall NVIDIA drivers, cause when I startx, some errors appear regarding NVIDIA.
        So, I "sudo sh NVIDIA*********.run" start everything as usual.
        Then it says,
        ERROR: File '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so' is not a symbolic link.

Comment

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thnx "Qqmike"

I've already read that long time ago when I had the problem with NVIDIA, I was writhing this when you posted.

------

OK OK ... YES got it working.

Thnx for the help

I managed to continue with the NVIDIA driver installation & overwrite any other config.

But I have no idea if the Kubuntu upgrade have messed up anything else.
            I guess I'll delete it's partition & install 8.04 as soon as it's released.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it. "Learned much today, although wasted much time as well"

Best Wishes: 0x00FE

Comment

Originally posted by 0x00FE
              "Learned much today, although wasted much time as well"
              If you learned, then the time spent gaining that knowledge wasn't "wasted."
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog: “If you learned, then the time spent gaining that knowledge wasn't 'wasted.'”

Yes, and that's the way it goes. Sometimes you have clear sailing for 6-12 months (and learn nothing except how to mouse click faster); then at times, you find you have to tweak something or even re-install (and get to learn something about OSs, Linux, and PCs). Its not a real big deal: as always, keep back-ups and the live install CD on hand. And if it IS a real big deal to someone, just as in Windows, use more sophisticated methods to maintain your backup runs each week (or more frequently); e.g., Partimage. Go to external media (USB drives). Redundant (duplicate/rotated) backups. Incrementals. Etcetera. I think you know the drill from XP.

Because Linux lets you get in there and do so much with your installation with one gracious sudo command, there's a nontrivial probability you may mess up; that's to be expected. Backups. Always. I take that a step further. Since it's free (as in beer) and no crazy validation permits required, I have a main production Kubuntu set up, and I have other experimental instances of Kubuntu set up (including a live persistent Kubuntu flash drive). A lot of members have Kubuntu dual boot along with a couple other distros they like to use and mess with (Mepis & Mint seem popular). Or, keep 7.10 on one partition and install 8.04 on another partition. You have choices.
                http://distrowatch.com/
                And I mentioned Xandros.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  1. Never driven before (afraid to get behind the wheel)
                  2. New driver (manual transmissions scare them)
                  3. New driver (learned on an automatic but wants to learn how to use a manual)
                  4. Experienced driver (comfortable with a manual or automatic)
                  5. Thrill driver (likes off-road adventures and racing)
                  6. Hobbyist (likes to customize their ride)
                  7. Manufacturer (builds their own rides)
                  8. Older, experienced driver who's done all of the above and just doesn't want to eff around with them anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X