This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor Help

I hate to have to post this, because it shows that I don't have a lot of experience with flat panel monitors! Hand me a CRT and I'm good to go. Anyways, I have a KDS K171S LCD flat panel monitor. When I plug it in, the power light goes green with intermittent flashes. There is no info shown on the display, which I would have to believe it should at least say "No Signal". Does anyone have any ideas for me to try to service the monitor? Like I mentioned, I've had years dealing with CRT's, but limited exposure to LCD's. I don't mind doing soldering or component replacing, but wouldn't know where to start without trapping all the circuits on the board, but I want to look for help before cracking out the multi-meter. Thanks! ~John~
    Slackware 12 - 32 bit on a ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Motherboard w/ Pentium 4 3.6 gHz HyperThreaded CPU (OC&#39;d to 4.4 gHz) and 1066 mHz FSB, 4 GB US Modular Low Density DDR2 ram, eVGA Nvidia e-GeForce 6200 LE 512mb PCI-e x16 GFX video. Plays World of Warcraft great!<br /><br />Only Linux @ home since 1996

Re: Monitor Help

I'm no expert on LCD monitors, but that sure sounds like a power supply problem to me. In a way that's good because it should be repairable. The power supply is usually a switch mode power supply like in a CRT monitor, PC power supply, VCR, just about every thing out there. The normal caveats apply about the lethal voltage on the input filter cap, but there's also high voltage fed to the backlight tubes. It'll be high frequency AC so a normal multimeter won't be able to read it right. Just don't bother messing with it at all.

Check out the low voltage power lines and see how they're coming up when you power up (use an Analog meter or a 'scope for the sake of your sanity). One might be shorted or otherwise doing something odd to shut down the SMPS.

Comment

Working...
    X