X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy? Feisty? Hardy?

Hey All,

I'm wondering what the difference is between the items listed in the title. I am running Gutsy. But I have seen where other run Gutsy, Feisty and Hardy. Why? Is there a huge difference in them? Are there things one can do the other can't. Or for that matter why run different distro's on a dual boot? There again do they do things Gutsy doesn't?

Thanks,
    James

Re: Gutsy? Feisty? Hardy?

I am running Gutsy. But I have seen where other run Gutsy, Feisty and Hardy. Why? Is there a huge difference in them?
    The newest version has the latest packages, so it has the best support for the latest hardware. There are backporting but sometimes this isn't possible. The differences are small, there are only six month between release dates.

K/X/Ubuntu naming: Year.Month

7.04 = Feisty Fawn
    7.10 = Gutsy Gibbon
    8.04 = Hardy Heron
    8.10 = Intrepid Ibex

Upgrade: "I hope that something better comes along"
    Not upgrde: "If it's not broken, don't fix it"
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

8.04 Hardy - This is still in alpha at the moment (obviously given it has a release date of april 08)

7.10 Gutsy is the latest stable version available.

Note: all release names are in alphabetical order by release date.

To give some examples of things that have changed between releases, Hardy is to bring a new printer configuration tool that was not present previously. And the current wireless configuration tool was introduced with feisty (it replaced an older tool that was used for this purpose). Hardy will also be the first release to use KDE4 making it a major step.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallbanana
        8.04 Hardy - This is still in alpha at the moment (obviously given it has a release date of april 08)

7.10 Gutsy is the latest stable version available.

Note: all release names are in alphabetical order by release date.

To give some examples of things that have changed between releases, Hardy is to bring a new printer configuration tool that was not present previously. And the current wireless configuration tool was introduced with feisty (it replaced an older tool that was used for this purpose). Hardy will also be the first release to use KDE4 making it a major step.
        Printer support from dapper to gutsy was incredibly smooth. I hope kde4 isn't going to cause problems w/ hardy, I'm looking forward to it though.
        [img width=400 height=138]http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7460/rigsigeo0.jpg[/img]

Comment

Cool. Thanks. I was wondering what the biggest difference between everything was.

Thanks again,
          James

Comment

Working...
          X