• Time
  • Show
Clear All

GParted 0.3.4-11 Live CD problems [SOLVED]

GParted 0.3.4-11 Live CD problems

Has anyone had problems with the new GParted Live CD, version -11:
    0.3.4-11 Live CD (12-17-08)

Specifically,
    There is no “eject & reboot" option, only reboot and shutdown (and one other).
    Trying to “shutdown” gives:
    INIT: Sending processes to KILL signal!
    etc etc
    Remounting remaining filesystem read only.
    --and it freezes at that screen--

Related issue and question:
    After removing the Live CD, damage to Kubuntu start up resulted:
    “INIT 34 Can't open /scripts/functions
    Kernel Panic—not syncing—Attempted to Kill INIT!”
    --and it froze right there--unable to boot into Kubuntu 7.10--

Incidentally, anyone know a fix to that kernel panic?
    (Didn't find much with google per se, and I could not locate /scripts/functions.)

I was not doing any partition work prior to exiting GParted (only exploring various menus, the terminal, & features). I find it hard to believe I would be the only one encountering this issue.

(BTW, no problems with the previous -10 version; also, I posted at GParted forum.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: GParted 0.3.4-11 Live CD problems

Hmmm -- that's surprising. I have -10 and, as you say, it works just fine. Just used it yesterday to set up for Hardy Heron Alpha 4.

Comment

Surprising, yes, indeed. The Live CD has not been supported for some time now, and I hope that's not the future of the project.

I can't imagine why any developer would omit the option Eject & Reboot in a partition editor.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has encountered such issues with -11.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This may have solved it:

(with root privileges)

Open /boot of sdb2 (where the broken Kubuntu 7.10 is located).
        Rename initrd-img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak as initrd-img-2.6.22-14-generic.
        Reboot twice to test it. So far, it works fine.
        Then I copied that same initrd file onto Desktop, renamed it initrd-img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak to make it my new backup copy, and copied the new .bak file back into /boot.
        Not sure how Linux experts would feel about this sort of messing around, but it seems to work.

A google suggests that such init/ issues with /scripts/functions comes up in various ways, esp updates. For other folks who might google here, I'll mention two other tips I've run into.

Using a Live CD, access that broken partition, and as root, run
        sudo update-initramfs -u -v
        (you can omit the -v for verbose if you don't care to see the progress).

If that doesn't work or hangs on you, you might try repairing the tools by re-installing initramfs-tools (using Adept Manager). If you have problems doing that, use Konsole to uninstall it, then install it as follows:

sudo dpkg --configure -a
        sudo apt-get --purge remove initramfs-tools
        sudo apt-get install initramfs-tools
        Then repeat:
        sudo update-initramfs -u -v

(That did not work for me, so I did what I indicated at the start of this post.)

Comment

Working...
        X