This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory Hog?

So I have only what starts with Kubuntu running, do not even have Pidgin going. And I have 810k memory used and 484k free? Any idea why my RAM is being hogged like mad?

On Ubuntu LiveCD it shows 124k memory used with nothing running and XFCE Mint shows 142k. Yet Kubuntu is that high why? I want to fix this but if I can't then I'll have to agree with KDE critics and say it is a resource hog (worse than even WinXP). And I'll have to go back to Gnome.

Re: Memory Hog?

So ok get this, KSysGuard reports 900k mem used. HTop and System Monitor (installed both to crosscheck) report 115k used. So um what the heck? I take it SysGuard is buggy?

Comment

Rule of thumb in the Linux: "empty ram is wasted ram"

FAQ Linux Memory Management
      http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management
      Overview of memory management

Traditional Unix tools like 'top' often report a surprisingly small amount of free memory after a system has been running for a while. For instance, after about 3 hours of uptime, the machine I'm writing this on reports under 60 MB of free memory, even though I have 512 MB of RAM on the system. Where does it all go?

The biggest place it's being used is in the disk cache, which is currently over 290 MB. This is reported by top as "cached". Cached memory is essentially free, in that it can be replaced quickly if a running (or newly starting) program needs the memory.

The reason Linux uses so much memory for disk cache is because the RAM is wasted if it isn't used. Keeping the cache means that if something needs the same data again, there's a good chance it will still be in the cache in memory. Fetching the information from there is around 1,000 times quicker than getting it from the hard disk. If it's not found in the cache, the hard disk needs to be read anyway, but in that case nothing has been lost in time...

Here:
      :~$ free -m
      total used free shared buffers cached
      Mem: 1011 977 34 0 171 545
      -/+ buffers/cache: 260 751
      Swap: 2000 0 2000
      FREE(1) Linux User’s Manual FREE(1)

NAME
      free - Display amount of free and used memory in the system

SYNOPSIS
      free [-b | -k | -m | -g] [-o] [-s delay ] [-t] [-V]

DESCRIPTION
      free displays the total amount of free and used physical and swap mem‐
      ory in the system, as well as the buffers used by the kernel. The
      shared memory column should be ignored; it is obsolete.

Options
      The -b switch displays the amount of memory in bytes; the -k switch
      (set by default) displays it in kilobytes; the -m switch displays it in
      megabytes; the -g switch displays it in gigabytes.

If you have free ram, you can try programs like:
      Preload
      adaptive readahead daemon
      preload monitors applications that users run, and by analyzing this
      data, predicts what applications users might run, and fetches those
      binaries and their dependencies into memory for faster startup times.

Note that installing preload will not make your system boot faster
      and that preload is a daemon that runs with root priviledges.

Homepage: http://preload.sourceforge.net/
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Ah ok good to know. Is there anyway then to calculate how much system resources is taken by Linux vs. Windows?

Comment

I'll speculate that there is no good way to do a precise direct comparison between the two OSs, because of the fact that there are different services started up by each one, that you can't totally control. To verify this, look at the list of running processes in KSysguard, and then run Windows and look at the list of processes using something like msconfig, and look at the Services tab.

So, probably all you can do is a rough comparison. Start up each one, don't run any apps, and check the average CPU load and memory load over a small period of time like 3 minutes, and draw your conclusions, bearing in mind what Rog131 has pointed out about the Linux memory usage model, which seeks to maximize the utilization of RAM for useful purposes, versus the Windows model in which used RAM is kinda unavailable for the next tasking.

Comment

Good to know. I'm just glad it isn't a true problem because I love Kubuntu .

Comment

Working...
            X