This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no apply type button for adept manager

Hi All. A newbie here over his head. My main ( 1st ) problem is I can download to my hearts content with adept manager. But there is no like apply button like in the instructional video. So I have BOINC and Thunderbird and Firefox and can not open them. What should I do? Thanks.

Re: no apply type button for adept manager

The first thing would be to let us know what version of *ubuntu you are running.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for helping me out.
      I downloaded and installed kubuntu 7.10

Comment

Originally posted by MFinkel
        So I have BOINC and Thunderbird and Firefox and can not open them.
        To be clear, these were installed, using Adept Manager?

Comment

Sorry.
          I installed the kubunto 7.10 from the CD that was mailed to me.
          If memory serves, the adept manager was in the CD.
          Actually it was, before I did anything the adept manager downloaded and seemed to install by itself something like 106 software updates.
          Boinc, Thiunderbird and Firefox were all originally downloaded from the internet and then when I could not open them, much less find them, I tried the adept manager. They downloaded O. K. but I can not figure out how to open them.
          Actually, other than the BOINC I think I am just going to use the K e mail and the Konquerer. Why add more downloads to the system?

Comment

First thing you will want/need to do is ensure that the CDROM isn't still identified as a package repository in Adept Manager.

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manager)
            Click on Adept | Manage Repositories
            Ensure that all the items on the first tab are checked (the last one does not need to be, unless you are going to be downloading source files for compiling).
            On the Third-Party Software tab, uncheck or delete the cdrom entry.
            If Adept Manger doesn't fetch updates, then close Adept Manager. Reopen it and click on Fetch Updates.

This will ensure that you are able to select the thousands of packages that are available through Adept Manager.

You will (most likely) also want to get functional DVD playback (if you have a DVD player in your PC). You can do so by following my
            HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and PGP Key (do this first)
            followed by my
            HOWTO: Get commercial DVD playback in Kaffeine

As to Firefox, you may want to read this Welcome to Ubuntuzilla link. Scroll down the page to Usage Instructions

Comment

Thanks, I will try it later, we have to out and do a few things that always get in the way of finding new ways to mess up my computer!
              Poking around I found this: Gospel of Tux unearthed, looks interesting, will read it later also.
              Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hi, I went to Adept manager-Manage Packages, out in my password and it opened up. I do not see anything that says Manange Repositories. Is there something I am supposed to open 1st for access?

Comment

Found it, going to go in it now.

Comment

So it downloaded a bunch of updates. Looks like 90% not installed and no change. A few here and there say installed and no change. I am assuming it worked correctly?
                    Can you tell me how to install the BOINC and open it up?
                    Thanks, M.

Comment

Open Adept Manager and search on boinc. You should have eight packages identified. The package boinc-app-seti is the package that you want. Click the > next to the package name, click the Request Install button and then click Apply Changes

Comment

Excellent, started to download and at 2% stopped and has the warning the download was corrupted and stopped downloading. I clicked on O. K. and it ran for a couple of seconds and stopped and the Adept came back and shows 2 lines that says installed and no change and the other 4 lines says not installed and no change.
                        Man this is (fun) I mean hard work.
                        What do you think?

Comment

Hmm. Okay. Open Adept Manger and search on boinc-app-seti
                          Click on the > and click the Request Removal and click Apply Changes
                          Make sure that Adept Manager reports that it is removed/uninstalled. Post back the results.

Comment

The warning:
                            There was an error committing changes. Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages the commit would break packages.
                            I clicked on O. K. ( same message when trying to open I believe ).
                            This happened at 6%. Also it is still there and says not installed and no change.
                            The next line is boinc-client and says installed and no change.
                            Thanks, M

Comment

You know, I keep getting this when I open the Adept Manager:
                              Data Base Locked-Adept Manager
                              Another process is using the packaging system database ( probably some other adept application or apt get or aptitude ).
                              Would you like to attempt to resolve this problem?
                              No will enter read only mode and cancel to quit and resolve this issue yourself.
                              Well I guess I have really done it now! I wonder what I did wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X