This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk about plug-and-play!

Man, talk about plug-and-play! I recently obtained a replacement keyboard for my desktop, and decided to experiment a little by straight up hot-swapping the keyboards with Kubuntu running. It worked like a charm I remember the days working with Windows when (that's wwWw) I tried hot-swapping keyboards, mice, and everything else; I would receive the dreaded "device not detected" error, and have to reboot before I could use the new hardware. Not the case with Kubuntu! Not only has the keyboard (PS2) hot-swap worked, but I have a USB Joystick I can hot-swap as well - for the very occasional days I feel like playing around with gl-117

Kubuntu is completely, absolutely, unquestionably, and without a fathom of a doubt, the bomb-diggity
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Talk about plug-and-play!

Hot-swapping PS/2 keyboards/mice is not usually a good idea... most motherboards are wired such that a small surge at a PS/2 port (such as can be caused by plugging something in) can permanently fry it... or so I'm told.

But yes, only last week I was impressed by X's ability to hot-swap input devices - in my case, USB mice.

Comment

bomb-diggity?
      txWingMan

Comment

I have to agree that Kubuntu has made huge advances - I can now hotswap optical drives of my T41!!! Simply refused to do it on 7.4
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My favorite is the ease of installing printers. My wife's wierd HP PhotoSmart 3-in-1 works better than in windows with less fuss, even scanning etc...

Comment

Working...
          X