X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xterm and history

Dear friends,

I used to use xterm in opensuse and by default the shift key + cursor key(up, down) functioned to go through history list e.i., writing vi and then pressing shift+up I could go through all old commands in history starting with vi? Recently I installed kubuntu and this feature does not function? I am so much thankful ti whom can give me a help what to do?

Actually on the web I found that these two files
    /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm
    /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color

contains the setting of xterm. So I copied these two files from a opensuse installed machine to my ubuntu installed machine but it did not work too.

thanks alot,
    Reza.

xterm
    0%
    history
    0%

Re: xterm and history

Actually it is bash that allows you to search your history of commands (unless you changed to a different shell). The file that sets the key-bindings for the CLI in kubuntu is /etc/inputrc. It looks like you can remove the '#' from the the second and third lines of:
    Code:
    # alternate mappings for "page up" and "page down" to search the history
    # "\e[5~": history-search-backward
    # "\e[6~": history-search-forward
    to bind the search function you want to pgup/pgdown.

You should be able to find the key code for shift-up and shift-down to change it to that, but I believe that is bound to scroll up/down by default.

Comment

Dear friend,

Thank you. I did what you had written but it did not function. However something in your solution helped me to the solution. I compare /etc/inputrc of my ubuntu to the opensuse and I found some related settings for the xterm in the opensuse one and then I copied them to the ubuntu. Now the problem is solved. Thanks for the name of the file /etc/inputrc you wrote me.

How can I find this type of informations such as "/etc/inputrc is reponsible for the key bindings"?

best,
      Reza.

Comment

Yay, I'm glad you got it working to your liking.

There are many ways to find the information you are looking for.
        Some good search terms are: "bash history search auto completion". Or, you can hunt down the appropriate file by searching for the program in /etc (where setup files are stored) or the hidden files/folders in your home dir (your personel settings are saved there). You can also 'grep' for key words in /etc/ and your /home directory.

Code:
        grep -R history /etc
        That will search recursively for all plain text document in /etc containing the word history.
        Code:
        man grep
        for more information.

Comment

Working...
        X