X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

register in Linux?

Hi,

After spending many hours cleaning up several computers using XP as operating system, always ending with running a register cleaning program to really loose all those programs/links you've just been removing, I just wondered: how does Linux keep track of what is going on on the computer?? Is there also something like a register that has to be cleaned up, or is it simply taken care of if I use the package manager to install/remove programs?? And how about de-fragmentation - necessary to do this manually from time to time or not??
    Are you Microsoft's slave, or do you master Linux?

Re: register in Linux?

In word no and no. Well those are three words

All (well most) of the configuration files are stored in /etc on the / partition. You will find your personal configuration files in /home/username as "hidden files" to see them go into view and activate "show hidden files". When purge a app with adept / synaptic or apt-get you remove the /etc enries as well. The personal ones can be removed as well if need by "hand". These config files are usually either txt or xml formatted files.

Kubuntu keeps track of what is installed and removed with its package managers. Adept / apt-get is default. Synaptic is for many more stable than adept but based on apt-get.

Ext3 formated partitions don't need defraging.

Someone more knowledgeable than me can please correct on the nitty gritty but basically that is it.

Welcome
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: register in Linux?

I believe the development of "package management systems" was one of the huge improvements upon Unix that helped Linux become usable by average folk. There are two, the Red Hat Package Manager (aka RPM) system, and the Debian Package Management Tool (dpkg).

Here's more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPM_Package_Manager

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4352

Comment

Working...
      X