This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I Don't Know What to Do!!

I've been getting Kubuntu set up on my system for the past few weeks. Little by little, I configured all the basics to run just right on my desktop and my laptop, got my printer and scanner going, set up my wireless network, installed numerous applications from the Adept repository that run perfectly, and established the look and feel of my two Linux computers so they are comfortable and customized.

Now I have a big problem...I've run out of things I need to do! That's why I felt compelled to post a complaint here, and tell all you Linux developers that I blame you for the fact that my system runs too well and I have nothing to fix. I find myself wandering into eye-candy territory, looking for enhancements that are just fun to try.

It's all your fault!

When I ventured into Linux territory, I figured I'd be fixing things regularly, and I accepted that as part of the bargain. I never thought that after just a short time I'd have Linux up and running with no problems! Nothing is broken and nothing else needs to be added to make my system work great. I've uninstalled Windows completely from all my computers, so now if I want to use Windows I have to stop by a computer store and play with it there. That's my only opportunity these days to see all those extra applications that no one uses! In the good old days, when I ran Windows, I got to spend lots of time uninstalling software I never wanted, and I got to clean out my registry and track down the source of applications that got installed without my knowledge.

But you ruined that for me. I can't do any of that any more!

Thanks a lot! Now what am I supposed to do?

Is that your plan -- to make things so easy that people are forced to just use their computers without problems? How dare you!

Any suggestions on how to solve my dilemma?

Matt

Re: Now I Don't Know What to Do!!

Just to darn funny!

As you haven't said which version of Kubuntu you have...

Let's say you have Feisty. If you want a challenge, upgrade to Gutsy. If you already are running Gutsy, download the Release Candidate for KDE 4.

Really, if you want to break your system, there are plenty of ways to do it!

It's nice to hear a testimonial from a satisfied Linux user.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

KDE looks, dress-up: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=49025

Haven’t tried it, but looks neat. Sounds like you may have already ran into it.

Or, play with a flash drive, using GParted for partition editing. Here’s what little I’ve done in that direction:
      How To Make GRUB Thumb Drive
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081748.0
      (and the posts that I appended to it, including Puppy, GParted, and Super Grub Disk; can also play with an external USB hard drive)

And herman has some neat stuff/projects on his site:
      Bigpond, home: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/
      (he writes from Ubuntu, but it all applies to Kubuntu also.)

Or, make a partition for an experimental instance of Kubuntu, where you can conduct crazy experiments, change the desktop to Gnome, play with GRUB, etc., and not disturb your working, production Kubuntu setup.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Isn't it a drag?

If you do get trapped in boredom with an unfortunately smooth running system, there's always the adrenaline rush of trying to help others with theirs. This however can become addictive, so it is a dangerous path to wander down.

Or, well, you could do testing for Ubuntu, maybe?

Or just skylark around with the eyecandy. What's wrong with that? Skylarking. You may just create an artistic masterpiece for the rest of us!

Of course then there's application development.

Or teach yourself a new language. FORTH perhaps.

Or you could just write enjoyable notes for the rest of us to read about how happy you are with linux.

Comment

Originally posted by gilf
          IIf you do get trapped in boredom with an unfortunately smooth running system, there's always the adrenaline rush of trying to help others with theirs. This however can become addictive, so it is a dangerous path to wander down.
          [voice from behind the curtain] "Ignore the little man in the plane! Go for the adrenaline rush. You know you want to!"

Comment

There's only one thing you can really do, Matt.

Reinstall Windows.
            I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

If you really want to 'trip out,' how about installing VMware Player, then install WinXP as a virtual machine. Once that's done, run the WinXP virtual machine and see if you can install VMware Player inside of WinXP and install a *ubuntu into it!

Comment

Heh -- here you go, Matthew ... install a PVR video capture card, and then figure out how to capture and edit a VHS tape and turn it into a DVD.

That should keep your busy little fingers off the street for a week!

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  That should keep your busy little fingers off the street for a week!
                  Only a week? And how long did it take you to figure it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

Only a week? And how long did it take you to figure it out!
                    "Fifth Amendment"!

But, he's obviously smarter than me, so he can probably do it in a week.

Comment

I'm not a gamer. But, well, uh.......there's this.....I mean.....I don't really waste....you know I was just checking it out......so I can stop any time.....it's kid stuff really......I absolutely don't play......supertux. No way.

Comment

Install Kubuntu to a flash drive. There's How-To's on it, but don't know if they all work.

Or, see how many distros you can put on a 160 GB/320 GB HDD, and make them boot and work.

Or, . . .
                        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well I guess if you were really bored you could always try to fully synchronize a Motorola razr V3i or V8 mobile phone to a PIM like Kontact.

If you don't have that phone hen you could always get one from ebay

Or taking a hint from snowhog:
                          and see if you can install VMware Player inside of WinXP and install a *ubuntu into it!
                          How about trying to get a pc version of OSx to run as a guest on your vmware xp guest

anyway I am happy that you are obviously so miserable
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Excellent -- so there are ways for me to be happier breaking some things! Thanks for letting me know!

On the serious side, I've been a big fan of the open-source community for a while, even though I only came to Linux in August. But I've definitely become an advocate of Linux, and when I believe in something I tend to be rather vocal about it.

Which brings me to the point of this post...

I own an online woodworking forum (Festool Owners Group), which is based on Simple Machines Forum (SMF), the same software that runs the Kubuntu forum. You might ask, "What does that have to do with Linux?" Well, I decided a while ago that people who own online forums based on open-source software should do whatever they can to spread the word about open-source in general. Forum owners often have access to thousands of people who may not otherwise see or hear anything about open source software.

Now, it's only a small step to say that forum owners should also use their influence to spread the word about Linux (assuming you favor Linux).

My proposal is simple: every forum owner who uses Linux and open-source applications should create an "off-topic" area where open-source and Linux can be discussed.

I've done this in my forum, and it has worked out well. Even though my forum is for woodworkers, people have joined in the open-source and Linux discussions, and some new members have been emboldened to see what open-source and Linux is all about. Often, these are people who would usually never know about open-source and Linux, but because they heard about it in my forum, a place they feel comfortable in, and among people they are familiar with, they are more likely to venture out and learn more about such things.

Many people here run technical forums, and that's a natural connection with open-source and Linux. But those of use who run non-technical forums can help out as well.

Just my opinion.

Matthew

Comment

That is a great way of spreading the wealth Sort of like word of forum
                              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                              4 GB Ram
                              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                              X