This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help, can't get in to terminal!

I'm running kubuntu, and have updated everything to the latest stable versions, including X. Since the update, ctrl-alt-f1 won't get me in to the terminal! It will go to the terminal in recovery mode, but after going to runlevel 2 or higher in recovery mode I can't get back in to the terminal. The Konsole program works for now, and everything else seems to work fine. Any ideas?

Re: Help, can't get in to terminal!

My first suspicion would be toward the keyboard layout as per xorg.conf -- in other words that the OS is not "seeing" a Ctrl-Alt-F1 keypress, but something else. Is there any chance that your xorg.conf configuration got changed during your X upgrade, to something non-standard, or that doesn't reflect your actual keyboard?

Comment

Yes, that's possible. The upgrade messed with the configuration files quite a bit. I'm not sure how to fix that if it is the problem, though.

Comment

While in a konsole shell, navigate to /etc/X11
        The xorg.conf file will have several backups. Unless you've messed around reconfiguring xorg.conf several times, one of those backups will contain your original configurations. You can compare it to the current xorg.conf to see what changes (if any) have been made.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, I checked the xorg.conf file and it seems relatively unchanged. I did discover that i can switch to the terminal by going into console and typing sudo chvt 1 and that works. However, if i hit ctrl-alt-f1 in konsole, it types "P" and the other function keys give different letters. If i'm in tty1 and hit ctrl+alt+f2 it brings me to tty2. Not sure what to make of that.

Comment

Working...
          X