This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few ideas on Heron

having read the trials and tribulations of people trying to upgrade / install a version of Kubuntu here are a few thoughts on the installation / upgrade process:

1) If the iso is not fixed to burn at faster than 4x (which other distros do quite happily) then please specify this as soon ans as concise as possible in the download / install instructions. This is crucial and a big producer of coasters or small frisbees. Most people will download the live version. Especially noobees, and that is your biggest potential market.

2) A proper suse (just to mention one) style repair function on both cd's.

3) A desktop link on the live cd and installed version pointing to the kubuntuguide. This will allow new friends of Kubuntu (linux in general) to get quick info on how to do basic stuff like install apps (see point 5), configure xorg, setup printers, mount drives / partitions, share files, setting up a samba network, settig up thier wifi / cable network card, etc.

4)Get rid of that useless partitioner on the live cd. Have a look at the install partitioner with pclinux (mandriva)

5)Please get adept WORKING. If that doesn't happen then at least let us know about the issues and give us synaptic to use by default until it does work.

6)Inform the people of mount point, graphic card and other driver issues, etc. when upgrading and give them a howto on those issues in the upgrade instuctions. While I am at it inform them about the state of adept (see point 5) and alternatives.This is soooooo verrrry important as most of the upgrade problems I have read point to that problem and it comes across as half baked if not mentioned.

Well that is all for starters. I am sure something else will crop up in the future
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: A few ideas on Heron

Hear Hear !!

This is for Ubuntu (Anything for Kubuntu ?):

In-Depth Roadmap Analysis For Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04
    http://www.fsckin.com/2007/10/30/in-...rdy-heron-804/
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

This is for Ubuntu (Anything for Kubuntu ?)
      Well it should apply to all *ubuntu's and its installation.

As for kubuntu there are plenty but getting adept to work is definitely a must. I mean we have had this thing around for what 3 versions of kubuntu.

I am sure there are plenty others with great / better ideas

Edit: I read that link a few days ago and it sort of inspired me for this thread.
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Well it should apply to all *ubuntu's and its installation.
        Well - some of those will apply, but not all :P

Plans

Kubuntu is catching up:
        https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuHardyCatchup
        Summary
        Ensure Kubuntu has the same functionality as Ubuntu.

Release Note
        Much effort has been put into ensuring Kubuntu is feature equivalent to Ubuntu Desktop. Compiz is now better supported, hard disks can be mounted, printing autodetection works, XDG home dirs are used and video codecs install. We look forward to Ubuntu Desktop becoming feature equivalent with Kubuntu.

KDE4 and HH:
        https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KubuntuHardyKde4
        Summary
        Packaging KDE 4 in Hardy.

Release Note
        KDE 4 packages are available with selected modules supported as default. CDs are available for those who prefer a complete KDE 4 environment without LTS.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Adept: Just wondering what aspects you are referring to exactly when you say adept is brocken (don't have problems with it on my setup).

1,3&4 I think are definitely big ones.

and I like that idea of a HH with LTS and an HH with KDE4, kudos to whoever came up with that one.

Comment

Adept: Just wondering what aspects you are referring to exactly when you say adept is brocken (don't have problems with it on my setup).
            I didn't say it was broken, it just doesn't seem to be working as it should. If you go through a search for adept in gutsy here on this and other forums as well as google you will get my gist. I just believe (and this is personal) that a gui package management is so important, especially to noobees, that Kubuntu should have a stable and trustworthy PM as synaptic is by default. At least until adept gets rid of its hick ups.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just wanted to add my voice here on the Adept aspects of Kubuntu. I've rwad the debates on Adept versus Synaptic, and I do agree that Synaptic seems to look better and be a bit smoother in operation. However, Adept works. In other words, it might be a bit clunky in looks, but it gets the job done.

I am still somewhat new to Linux, so a reliable package manager is crucial (I have trouble every time I need to install anything from command lines).

I'd say, keep Adept, but just smooth out its functioning a bit more. If this turns into a discussion of what we'd like to see in Adept, I could be more specific.

Thanks,
              Matt

Comment

I do like the K-menu --> Add/Remove programs option to start there limited Adept.
                Very good for us newbies :-)

At more 'advanced' things that I yet? seldon need, I use Synaptic.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                  1) If the iso is not fixed to burn at faster than 4x (which other distros do quite happily) then please specify this as soon ans as concise as possible in the download / install instructions. This is crucial and a big producer of coasters or small frisbees.
                  Amen, I thought it was just me. My coasters are shiny. I finally ended up going with the lowest speed and using raw rather that TAO/SAO/DAO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                    4)Get rid of that useless partitioner on the live cd. Have a look at the install partitioner with pclinux (mandriva)

5)Please get adept WORKING. If that doesn't happen then at least let us know about the issues and give us synaptic to use by default until it does work.

6)Inform the people of mount point, graphic card and other driver issues, etc. when upgrading and give them a howto on those issues in the upgrade instuctions. While I am at it inform them about the state of adept (see point 5) and alternatives.This is soooooo verrrry important as most of the upgrade problems I have read point to that problem and it comes across as half baked if not mentioned.
                    I don't have a problem with the partitioner, but I don't consider myself a noob, maybe an intermediate user. I also don't have a problem with adept and never have. I have never understood all of the carping about using synaptic instead. I was not to hot on gdebi since it didn't have a context menu, but when I saw that it solved dependencies, it is probably worth the extra click.

I agree that ndiswrapper should be included on the live CD and a copy of the how-to for Broadcom NICs and ATI graphics adapters would be helpful for many. I have a 50' ethernet cable just so I can install ndiswrapper on any new/hosed machines.

Good suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                    X