This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEE PC and Kubuntu

I'm awaiting delivery of an EEE PC from Asus. They ship with a Xandros variant, but as a relative Linux newbie I'd rather stick with the distro I'm most familiar with.

How easy does the panel think it would be to install Kubuntu? Any hardware problems likely?

Regards,

William

Re: EEE PC and Kubuntu

There is probably no hardware issues you can't overcome. The one problem i do see is that is does not come with a optical drive (cd/dvd) so you would have to use a external drive. Should work though.

I was looking for this the other day, where did you order it from? Do you have a link?

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I ordered it from Clove

http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?Manufacturer=ASUS&Item=ASUSEeePC7 01(PRE-ORDER)&Product=9136E4FD-2F3C-4289-84A9-4B96ED813B9D&Category=DDCFA00F-7469-4EA2-BECB-AAECD7EAD4F9

William

Comment

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested.

Comment

Good news, apparently ubuntu 7.10 works, minor wireless issue to iron out but other than that its all good.
          http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,...331777b,00.htm

Comment

Any news on how this went?

Comment

I am running Kubuntu 7.10 on my EeePC.
              Because there is no cd/dvd drive, installing is a little harder than a standard one, but not really hard.
              There is a good instruction over at -
              http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu

I followed the live cd on a USB stick version. One small issue I found - the syslinux which is available from the repositories does not contain mbr.bin, which is needed to make the USB stick bootable. Simple to fix - just remove the Kubuntu version of syslinux if you have it installed, then download the version from kernel.org and build that. The install works great after that.
              Once installed, you will find that the ethernet driver is installed (it is a restricted driver, but installed during the setup). Sadly, the wireless does not work from scratch - the atl2 driver which is included in K 7.10 fails to work. The fix is to download and patch a different driver - again, instructions are available on the eeeuser.com website.

Kubuntu runs fine - it seems as quick in most cases as my standard desktop.
              Do not try to install earler versions of Kubuntu - they do not contain working drivers for ethernet or wireless, so it is a real nightmare to download and copy the relevant files from another box.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I see over on amazon that they are already preselling an 8G model with 1gb of ram for an extra US$100. Think I might wait for this to come out and then get one. Now if only they had bluetooth it would be the perfect lightweight pc.

Comment

Working...
                X