This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again . . .

Yes, it's me again; due to the lack of response to many of my recent posts, I'm guessing my constant barrage of questions is becoming overwhelming and aggravating to those who typically help me, and as such, I'll be somewhat silent from here on out and learn things the hard way. I'm sorry, I am just information hungry and have a strong desire to learn all I can about Kubuntu and Linux in general.

That being said, I have found a few links that may be helpful to any interested:

1) The Official Ubuntu Book is an excellent source for nearly everything one needs to know about (K)Ubuntu, from basic to more advanced topics; I've been searching for an online, free copy of this book ever since I read about it. Good stuff

2) FreeTechBooks.com is exactly what it sounds like, it's an online repository of hundreds of literally "free" tech books; more good stuff.

3) LinuxHelp.net also seems to be an excellent reference for Linux related issues.

4) LinuxCommand.org has an excellent tutorial for learning how to operate the command line.

That's all for now, I'll post more as I come across them
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Re: Hello again . . .

Originally posted by integr8e
    ...I'm guessing my constant barrage of questions is becoming overwhelming and aggravating to those who typically help me, and as such, I'll be somewhat silent from here on out and learn things the hard way...
    No need to resort to silence - and your questions aren't a barrage. It is always preferable to 'search first' and 'ask second' but don't let that stop you from asking when you feel you need to.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@integrat8e, was that you I saw over on Ubuntu forum today? Huh? Didn't get much help, did you?

Comment

@integrat8e, was that you I saw over on Ubuntu forum today? Huh? Didn't get much help, did you?
        Yes, that was probably me, I was disappointed with the amount of response I received on the BIG Ubu forum, but figured out what to do anyway.

Regarding my recent exploration into the partitioning frontier:

I've decided to completely reinstall Kubuntu using XFS; I've created four partitions:

1) swap
        2) /boot (ext3 partitioned)
        3) /home (XFS)
        4) extended partition
        - /root (XFS)
        - extra room for other distros if I feel need to install more

I've created a separate ext3 /boot partion to use GRUB since XFS formatted partitions are incompatible with GRUB and require the use of LILO, which I know almost nothing about. I first made it only 50MB, which I quickly learned is much too small; 50MB is sufficient to boot the computer, but not enough to run various administrator tasks such as updating my computer (apparently), so I expanded my /boot partition to 2gigs, which may be an overkill, but I've got enough room and I don't want to run into any more issues with it. Gutsy now boots and updates with no problems.

I created a separate /home directory following the suggestion by Qqmike (thanks) with the intention of using it with every distro I choose to install.

For my fourth partition, I created an extended partition, again following Qqmike's suggestion, and a logical XFS /root partition inside that for Kubuntu. I've left plenty of extra room inside the extended partition for any other partitions I need to create.

When I was deciding how to divvy out the partitions, I considered using reiserfs for my /root partition since it is supposed to be faster than XFS with small files, but chose XFS anyway; I read somewhere somebody had created a reiser /root partition and an XFS /home partition since reiser loads small files quicker than XFS and XFS loads large files faster than reiser, but I decided I would try that with another experiment. I might even install another copy of Gutsy on a reiser partition with my extra disk space.

So-far-so-good; I'm deffinitely liking XFS better than I did ext3, and everything's working like it should, and fast.

Anyway, I wrote this column for anybody interested in XFS partitioning because I had such a hard time finding information on how to create an XFS setup.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Cool -- that should work. Here's my experiment:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3087434.0

for whatever it's worth. 8)

Comment

That's crazy, how are you reading my brain?

Well, you know what they say, "geniuses think alike". (I've also heard it said that there's a fine line between genius and insanity, so I suppose my next step will be into a padded room :P)
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

As I said, I'll update the list as I come across other good links:

Linuxtopia.org is an excellent source for all kinds of Linux stuff.

Kudos has tons of listed topics aimed toward Kubuntu explicitly.

The Unofficial Kubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) Starter Guide, although written for Feisty, is up-to-date and filled with all kinds of goodies for newbies.
              Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
              X