This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I or don't I?

The time has come when I really need to dump Windows, and there are only a few things that are stopping me from doing this.

As a Windows user of 15 years or so, and mainly AmigaOS before that i've become accustomed to using certain programs for certain tasks. I have yet to find comparitive products on the Linux platform, maybe you can help...

Corel Draw
    Macromedia Dreamweaver
    Tag & Rename - MP3 Tagger, renamer, ID3 editor, etc, etc.
    Napster

Everything else i'm fine with. I realise that I have to keep a Windows installation there for Napster as I can't really survive without it

Dreamweaver as far as I am aware may run under Crossover Office? What about the others, i'm not quite sure how far Crossover goes.

I've also got a Sony Ericsson K800i cell phone, is there any software out there that will allow me to connect to my phone through Linux and edit contacts and transfer files to/from it?

Re: Do I or don't I?

Here's what I did -- it took 6 months, so patience is part of the recipe:

1. Set up a dual-boot Win XP and Kubuntu system.

2. Made like a Kubuntu Linux student.

3. Discovered VMWare Player (after using Win4Lin for awhile).

4. Got VMWare Player running a Win XP virtual machine, with my critical Windows app on it.

5. Woke up one day and realized I hadn't booted "real" Win XP for 6 or 8 weeks.

6. Took the next "natural" opportunity (the Feisty release) to re-configure and re-install, and did not install a bootable Windows OS.

7. Sneered at Vista and the poor folks stuck with buying it.

Substitute packages:

Gimp does what I used to do with PaintShop Pro. I'm told it is no Adobe Photoshop, however.

Music stuff -- geez, Linux has more music players, taggers, converters, and processors than you can shake a stick at -- you will not lack for music-related packages.

Dreamweaver -- I don't know it can't comment.

Napster -- well, I guess you could run it in a VMWare Player Win XP window if it's vital.

8)

Comment

Hmm yes, like the idea of using VMWare for critical Windows apps. I've used Corel Draw now since v3 and I have so many archived documents created with it, I guess i'll have to keep that as a critical app for now.

And again, with Napster, as a DJ it's a great way of getting the new tunes and albums.

Is VMWare player free

Comment

It's available for installation via Adept Manager.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by discoian
          The time has come when I really need to dump Windows, and there are only a few things that are stopping me from doing this.

As a Windows user of 15 years or so, and mainly AmigaOS before that i've become accustomed to using certain programs for certain tasks. I have yet to find comparitive products on the Linux platform, maybe you can help...

Corel Draw
          Macromedia Dreamweaver
          Tag & Rename - MP3 Tagger, renamer, ID3 editor, etc, etc.
          Napster

Everything else i'm fine with. I realise that I have to keep a Windows installation there for Napster as I can't really survive without it

Dreamweaver as far as I am aware may run under Crossover Office? What about the others, i'm not quite sure how far Crossover goes.

I've also got a Sony Ericsson K800i cell phone, is there any software out there that will allow me to connect to my phone through Linux and edit contacts and transfer files to/from it?
          Hi, here is a little list that I hope You will find useful.

Comment

I followed a similar path as dible. I could not find a replacement for anyting adobe/macromedia so I fooled around with crossover for the month you can use it for free. Didn't like it. dreamweaver and flash are simply not usable. Forget corel or photoshop. They work but are so slow they too are not usable. So I went the vmware path.

If you have a fairly stable windows install read this:
            http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

do a defrag before you do this!

If your win is not stable then you would want to do this:
            http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/...on-ubuntu-710/

If you happen to have a win 2000 pro lying around, all the better. You won't have to through the reactivation BS which is XP. Besides XP is nothing more than a pretty 2000 pro.

After that you can read this:
            http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...cseen#msg84096

I am sure he can give some other usefull pointers as well.

Then go and get the newest vmplayer:
            http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

Installation is painless, if you need help on that then just ask.

Don't use the version in the repos. It is too old.

Open up your "new" windows and get rid of all the apps you don't need and clean up your registry. You can even get rid of your anti-everything software and firewall (if you have one installed on linux).

Now you can run win and linux side by side (or rather one within the other) and have a more stable and (depending on your ram setup) faster win environment.

If you have your data on a separate partition (advisable) you can share with samba. If you don't you will have to use samba to access your win partition.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Cheers and enjoy

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hmm, seems like a better way to do it.

When creating a Windows "image", is it best to do it on the machine you wish to use it with ultimately, or does it not matter?

What I think I am asking is, if I created an image of my Toshiba laptop XP install would I be able to use it successfully on my Acer desktop without having to worry about driver differences, etc

Comment

The simple answer is yes. Your "image" which is actually a guest runs on top of your linux installation (the host) so it doesn't care. The drivers come primarily from Linux and are translated into windowsspeak by vmware.

Depending on the space you have available on your acer just setup a vmware directory or better yet partition and copy your converted windows to there.

If you are using a DVD to copy then you will probably have to compress it first so it will fit.

Now you can just point your vmplayer to that file and off you go
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

For a Dreamweaver replacement you could look at KompoZer or Quanta, Bluefish is good also.
                  Also have a look at a Content Management System (CMS) such as Joomla or Drupal. These cms options eliminate the need for wysiwyg editors plus have many ready-made extensions to boost your sites functionality..

Have a look at VMware server, it is free and will allow you to install a fresh win xp inside the virtual machine, thus eliminating any potential compatibility issues or inherited problems from your old install.

Comment

Ok and the virtual windows would have access to all the local linux resources such as printers, scanners and internet, etc?

I have an AMD XP4200+ with 1GB of DDR2, what sort of performance can I expect. What would it equate to? A P3 1ghz or less, or more?

Finally, does anyone have any good ideas as to how to explain to the Wife why the computer has changed and everything is different? And how the changes you have made will benefit HER.

Comment

Ok and the virtual windows would have access to all the local linux resources such as printers, scanners and internet, etc?
                      If by access, does it use their drivers yes.

Well I have a P4 with 1gig ram and have 256 RAM alloted to the win VM and it is faster than the HD install.
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

By access I mean, if I wanted to print something would I have to install the Windows driver for it on the "virtual" Windows, or would VMW translate a Linux driver and just make it available for use?

Interesting on the speed thing you said there....very interesting.

Comment

Sory for the delay, this site was down for a while. Probably due to overload.

Your "guest" will use the linux drivers so since your guest is behaving like a second PC on a network you will have to setup your printer as a network printer, there are various ways of doing this, and point the guest windows VM to it your printer in the printer/new printer dialog.
                          Your scanner if supported by kubuntu is no problem. You will still need a scanning program to actually scan and save anything. If it is not supported then you will need a bit of help from your windows driver.
                          Internet is a no brainer as you are using the linux network to access the web. You just have to choose either NAT or bridged network when you make your "image".

The important thing to remember is that if your hardware and internet work in Kubuntu your guest will have no problems either.

So I guess the most important part is to install your Kubuntu (Gutsy) as a dual boot with your windows (so you can still use your stuff until you have made the full transition) and see what works and what doesn't. Whatever doesn't work can find a solution here and on other forums.

As for your Sony Ericsson K800i cell phone I have no idea as I don't use one but being an older model it should work with the latest kontact enterprise PIM.
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                          X