Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Documents / spreadsheets to go: what solutions are out there?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documents / spreadsheets to go: what solutions are out there?

Hi everyone:

I would like to get an overview what kind of solutions are out there for storing documents & spreadsheets in a mobile device. I'm mainly interested in synchronizing with a Palm PDA (since I'm owning one), but if there are other devices that work easier, I'd be willing to ditch the Palm and switch to something else ... :P

If you have a working solution, please be so kind to include in your post:

- DESKTOP OPERATING SYSTEM (VERSION?): (e.g. Kubuntu 7.10, Ubuntu 7.02, Windows XP Pro, etc.)
    - DESKTOP DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. OpenOffice 2.3)
    - PDA MODEL (OS?): (e.g. Tungsten T2 with PalmOS 5.2)
    - PDA DOCS/SPREADSHEET APPLICATION (VERSION?): (e.g. Dataviz Documents to Go version8 )

Re: Documents / spreadsheets to go: what solutions are out there?

Open Office will save to .doc, .xls etc. So that shouldn't be a problem.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

eriefisher:

Thanks for the post.

OOo can save files of course as doc and xls, but at least the xls files are not compatible with most Palm sync software (I myself am using Docs to Go, and it doesn't work). Apparently the xls files OOo creates are not exactly the same as those created by MS Excel. And having to re-opn and re-save those files with Excel kind of defeats the purpose of switching to OOo ....

Comment

btw, what filetypes does the Palm use? knowing this will make it a little easier for us to check if our various office programs support it.

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but a coworker has been using OpenOffice (Windows) and sync spreadsheets to a palm (again with Windows) without problems for some years (now she has a PocketPC).

There were big but simple spreadsheets (mainly prices and stocks lists) and she didn't had any problems.

Javier.

Comment

marshallbanana:

Palm is using PalmDoc/AportisDoc for text documents. As for spreadsheets, I'm not sure, but suspect that it depends on the spreadsheet application installed on the Palm. For example, my WinXP installation of DataViz's "Documents (Sheets) to Go" seems to convert MS spreadsheets to their own format before transferring them to the Palm.

Javier:
            You don't happen to know what kind of Palm program your co-worker used to use?

Comment

In the Palm she used Documents-to-go. I don't know how she transfer them. I suspect that she just used the software that palm included, as she is not very computer-savy.

Javier.

Comment

Javier,

do you happen to remember the kind of Palm PDA your co-worker used, and the version of Documents-to-Go (or whether it was a recent version, an old one, etc.)?

Thanks for your posts by the way.

Comment

The Palms were Tungstem W (I still have one box here). I can't remember the version number of anything, but it was two or three years ago, maybe more.

Javier.

Comment

The post has been up for quite a few days, and I'm surprised that there are so few responses.

Is nobody using Kubuntu in conjunction with a PDA??

If you do use one, please be so kind to post your solution!

Comment

Working...
                    X