Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applied Wrong Display Settings Ooooooppppssss!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied Wrong Display Settings Ooooooppppssss!

I've applied the wrong display settings and now can't see the display to change it back!!!! Tried re-booting (I'm an ex windows user), but no good.

Am using Gutsy Gibbon 64 bit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Applied Wrong Display Settings Ooooooppppssss!

Wow -- that's pretty severe punishment for some innocent playing with settings!

Probably this will get you back to a VESA display, and from there you can install a suitable driver for your graphics chip if you want to:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3085112.0

Comment

Thanks for that link it worked a treat.

One other problem, which led me to the messing around with display settings in the first place, I'm getting wierd intermittent horizontal lines momentarily across the screen and some picture instability. I'm not sure whether the fault is with the new Asus mobo with int graphics, or Kubuntu 7.10 64 bit, although I get the same problem on the live CD of ubuntu 7.10. Didn't have any probs when I was running 32 bit Kubuntu 7.04 though!! I've tried another monitor - still the same. I'm about to download Kubuntu 64 bit 7.04 and see where that takes me.

One thing I did notice, when following the instructions at the above link, I didn't seem to get any display problems when working at the command line.

Confused!!

Comment

Hey

Originally posted by Flumuxed
        One other problem, which led me to the messing around with display settings in the first place, I'm getting wierd intermittent horizontal lines momentarily across the screen and some picture instability.
        Are you using an nVidia graphics card with dual monitors set up (possibly with fairly high resolutions as well), running under twinview? Just I had a similar problem to what you are mentioning. If that is the case have you found a solution yet? Mine was to use xinerama instead of twinview, however that prevents me from using compiz, which is rather annoying (so far my posts on nvnews.net seem to have been ignored and I am yet to find anyone with the same problem).

Regards,
        Adam

Comment

Unfortunately not. IO have an ASUS motherboard with on board graphics and no support for adding a third party graphics card, so can't even try to eliminate the problem by adding a different card!! I've not managed to solve the problem as yet, it seems somewhat intermittent.

Sorry I can't be more help!!

Comment

Have you followed dibl's suggestion below?? Basically, you are going to need to reconfigure the x-server. The link dibl is pointing you to deals with this.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, Dibl's link worked fine, it enabled me to get a video mode back that allowed me to get a usable GUI back, unfortunately this intermittent flickering problem persists!!

Comment

At least you have a display again.

If you want a descent chance at getting your display issue resolved, you need to post specifics about your system:

Desktop or laptop
                If laptop, manufacture and model
                Graphics card or chip set
                If not a laptop, monitor manufacturer, model and size

The output of lspci (open a konsole and type lspci and copy/past the results)

Comment

Desktop
                  Asus Motheboard with on board graphics, V Series M2V890
                  LCD Monitor, 15", GNR

lspci:
                  00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:00.5 PIC: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE I/O APIC Interrupt Controller
                  00:00.6 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. Unknown device 6290
                  00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE Host Bridge
                  00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890 South]
                  00:02.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T890 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller
                  00:03.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T890 PCI to PCI Bridge Controller
                  00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A SATA 2-Port Controller (rev 80)
                  00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 07)
                  00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
                  00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
                  00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
                  00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a0)
                  00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
                  00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to ISA Bridge
                  00:11.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8251 Ultra VLINK Controller
                  00:13.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A Host Bridge
                  00:13.1 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237A PCI to PCI Bridge
                  00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
                  00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
                  00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
                  00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
                  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890 [Chrome9] Integrated Video (rev 11)
                  05:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10)
                  05:07.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 111 54Mbps Wireless Interface
                  05:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

Comment

Some reading. Take the time to read this post before you do anything.

Comment

Ouch!!

Seemed to work OK 'til the instruction to restart and I lost the GUI. Had to reconfigure as per Dibl's earlier post. On reboot, I got the Ubuntu splash screen until presumably it tried to load video driver, then it kicked back out to command line environment with the following:

Loading, please wait
                      kint: name_to_dev_t(/dev/disk/by-uuid/d0d615a7-3540-4a35-87f8-f0bf2447e8db)=hda5(3,5)
                      kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/do615a7-3540-4a35-87f8-f0bf2447e8db
                      kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot....
                      Ubuntu 7.10 mad-desktop tty1
                      mad-desktop login:

After logging in no GUI only command line

Comment

Working...
                      X