Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please help with a dreamweaver problem??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone please help with a dreamweaver problem??

Hi, I am running kubuntu fiesty and I bought crossover office to run dreamweaver mx, I have already posted this question on the codeweavers ticket system but it has been over a week and they have not replied yet.

I installed dreamweaver and it seems to work very fast and smooth except when I try to connect to a remote site it crashes with a "fatal exception" every time.
    Someone else posted this to the codeweavers ticket system but he got it working by uninstalling then re-installing a few times, he surmised that it must have been a server problem.
    I don't think it is a server issue because I have dreamweaver running on a xandross machine and it works just fine.

I tried uninstalling then re-installing several times but I still get the same problem. I tried changing the FTP port and it says host found and then loads for a while and then says "ftp error could not connect to host" but it does not crash so I am assuming that the default was the correct port (21) but when it receives the remote file info something causes it to crash.

I really need to get this to work, it is the only thing stopping my boss from switching all of our computers to ubuntu or kubuntu. We are sick of all the virus and spyware problems with windows, it has practically killed our business before.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions, I am not a linux guru though so you may need to hold my hand through the technical stuff.

Re: Can someone please help with a dreamweaver problem??

I cannot help you with crossover as I have not used it for quite a while and never with ftp.

I use dreamweaver MX2004, flash MX2004, etc with vmware player 2.0.1.

There are two ways of doing this:
    1)If you have an existing windows installation have a look at this:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/vmware_con..._windows_linux

2)If you don't have an existing windows installation have a look here:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/09/...on-ubuntu-710/

Then download vmplayer:
    http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
    and install it. I can give you a step by step on this.

There is a vmware player in the repos but I wouldn't recommend it as it is an older version.

case (1):You can now open up your virtual windows and clean it up. get rid of all the apps you don't need and clean up the registry.

Case (2): Just install your needed apps (dreamwaever, etc) as usual.

either way you can now copy the "new" windows to your other machines. You may have to reactivate your windows unless you are using win 2000.

In my experience your "new windows" will be faster and more stable than the installed version. An added plus is you won't need a firewall, anti-everything software as it is running as guest on top of your linux.
    Now you can have it running in the background on a different virtual desktop and access it anytime you wish.

If you follow this path you should set up a separate partition for your data and use samba to share. I can guide you through this as well.

So if you cannot find a solution for crossover let me know.

I hope this helps a bit.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I tried using vmware player once but i could not get online with windows. It did not recognize my network card and i could not find the drivers for the motherboard, other than that it would have been perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by bustherh
        I tried using vmware player once but i could not get online with windows.
        I have found the new 2.0.1 version of VMWare Player to be FAR better than prior versions (including the broken one in the Gutsy repo). I installed it (again) over the weekend on Kubuntu Gutsy RC, and it installs flawlessly.

You do need a virtual machine to start with, of course, upon which to install your Win XP or whatever.

Comment

Working...
        X