This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

understanding the OS

hey everyone., im new to linux, and need some help with stuff, understanding stuff mainly.

ok, so i did a straight install from the kubuntu 5.10 cd, did the updates and all that.

so whut i need help in understainding is
    1) why cant i see my main drive, which lkubuntu is installed on, in my medis storage thing? i pressed slash and yah i thnkn that brought it up. but not sure.
    2) what is the optimal way fo setting up this system. im quite the organized person, so when i download new things, like games and all, where should all those files be saved? do they all have to go into the home section? or can it be anywhere?
    3) how do i navigate the system, like whut is up with the /dev and all that. like the partions, whats the deal with that? i know the first three or for the kernel and swap space and all. o and yes, how do i increase the swap space to 512? if its not alreayd there.
    4) how do i add places to adept, like the universe and things like that? i tried getting a movie player and all, because i NEED a vast variety of codecs for the amount of media i have, so no one could tell mne of an installer, like ace mega codecs pack for linux, which sux, but whutever, so i need to be able to get all codecs, and apparently need to get onto the univers or whutever.
    5) how is dual monitor support? and which media player supports it just wondering cause i use it intensely and need it to be supported.

i think thats all for now, i just need to get my system up and running and understand how to navigate it and properly set up wehre to download files, how to organizer them and stuff like that.

my specs, if you need them, are:

asus p4p800-e deluxe mobo
    p4 2.8ghz 1mb cache
    coolermaster aquagate r80 custom modded with a thermal take spark 7+ fan (any overclocking advice??)
    200gb main drive
    (920gb total space available, 4 drive)
    1.0gb ram
    ati radeon 7500 video card, with the dual monitor support. (next upgrade..... i know..lol.)
    MSI tv @nywhere master (hows support for that?? anyone know? mythTV perhaps??)
    enermax noisetaker 485W PS

i guess thats all the important stuff. if anyone can help me with this i would seriously appreciate it. these are the main questions that are killing me in this transition from my old time arch nemsis microsoft who consistantly wishes to have wars with me, to my soon to be savior system linux and kde.

thanks again

Re: understanding the OS

1. Here is a little info how a (l)unix dir structure looks like. http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/...ilestruct.html
    http://www.dynamic-apps.com/linux_directories.jsp

2. you base dir is /home/yourename there you can make folders for downloads etc. This will only be accessible for the user with that name. Every other user gets his own part in the /home dir.

3. swap partition is made as you install the OS. For the rest look at link, our do a google on directory structure linux.

4. http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=2389.0

5. dunno. but also try to ask on http://www.ubuntuforums.org/ because they use the same prgs as kubuntu and you get faster reply's there.

Mostly a quick search in the forums will give you a fast answer about the question you have. Most things are already asked and answerd.

Goodluck and remember 1st time working in linux looks difficult in the beginning but it will look normal later on. And Linux is not windows so it doesn't work the sameway for a lot of things, but linux will gives so much more freedom.

Comment

Re: understanding the OS

1.) If you mean that the partition you installed Kubuntu on is not showing up in 'Storage Media' (system:/media), then I saw that listed as a known issue with KDE 3.5 (according to the Ubuntu Wiki), at least under Breezy. Luckily, it doesn't really bother me.

Comment

Working...
      X