This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.tar install

I have two files on my desktop. ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.tar and ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.gz.

I need specific instructions to install them on the latest 7.x release of Kubuntu

I've looked for instructions on how to install it and there are pieces missing. First of all, what directory does it need to be in before I unzip? Can it be installed from the desktop? Do you double click a setup file like in Windows? I was able to install Kubuntu, so I can't imagine this being much harder. However I dont know the sudo commands well, or the file system. If anyone can find isntructions an fill in the gaps, I would appreciate it.

Regards
    Paul
    Parker, CO

Re: ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.tar install

The following steps should work to install the package (follow the same procedure for ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.tar if you need it, I'm guessing it's probably just a duplicate of ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.gz, just compressed in a different format); the quotation marks " " are just to emphasize instruction, don't paste them in the terminal:

1) the easiest thing probably for you to do is to open Konqueror; click the home button to the left of the address bar. When that pulls up, click the Desktop directory that appears.

2) right click on ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.gz and highlight the "extract" option; choose "extract here".

3) click the newly extracted directory, I'm guessing ndiswrapper-1.48; then right click and highlight the "actions" option and choose "open terminal here".

4) when the terminal (Konsole) pulls up, type "./configure"; once that finishes, type "make" and after that finishes, type "sudo make install" (you'll be prompted for your password).

That should install the package, assuming it's an ordinary .tar.gz file. If the terminal gives you an error when you type "./configure", let me know and we'll go from there.

If you want to move the package, say to your /home/username/ directory ("username" should be replaced with YOUR username), in the terminal, type "sudo mv /home/username/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.48 /home/username" (again, replace "username" with your username).

Psychocats.net is a good reference for instructions on how to install most software you'll find for your system, as well as many other helpful how-to's for beginners:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Also, if you haven't already, check out the "Useful Tips for newbies go here" post in the "Help the New Guy" section of this Kubuntu forum; it's the first post listed
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Step 3. When I right click on the directory ndswrapper-1.48 there is no option for actions. Only an option for Extract... and Delete. I did notice when I did step 2, it extracted the files to home/ubuntu/desktip/ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.tar - Ark. Not sure what Ark is.

Comment

Step 3. I was able to open the terminal through Konqueror. Disregard my previous response. When I typed './configure' at the Konsole it came back with No such file or directory. my prompt was paul@ubuntu:~Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.48$

Comment

Is there a README or INSTALL file located inside the extracted directory (all-caps is mandatory)?
          Asus G1S-X3:
          Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

OK, I've just downloaded and extracted ndiswrapper-1.48.tar.gz. Apparently, all you have to do is cd to the extracted directory and, skipping the "./configure" step, type "make" then "sudo make install". This should install it; let me know if you run into any errors.
            Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

It started to install when i did a make command. Then it said there was and Error 2 install thing. I went ahead and did the sudo make installm went through some process. At the end it stopped at utils with the same Error 2. Not sure if it was complete or not

Comment

If it's giving you an error, than it didn't install; errors during compilation and installation usually indicate you have a missing dependency, that is, that you are missing required applications/libraries needed by the program to run. I just checked Adept Manager for copies of ndiswrapper in its repositories, and it has the 1.38 version. Though it's slightly outdated, it should work for you if you want to take the easy street and download it from there. Just click the applications menu, choose 'System' and click 'Adept Manager'. Then, after giving it your password, type ndiswrapper into the search bar and tell Adept to install it. You probably only need to install the ndiswrapper-common.

If you want to continue the installation of version 1.48, tell me the error you are getting. Scroll up to where the error first appears and tell me what it says.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I'm thinking there are some dependencies I need to figure out. I believe the errors are happening because of some other programs that might need to be installed. Thoughts?

Comment

You are probably correct; do the errors give any hints of libraries or other programs needing installation? Look where you first begin receiving errors after you type 'make' and see if there are any clues as to what you need to install; are any of the errors preceded by statements telling you certain libraries/applications cannot be found? Etc.
                    Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

What's wrong with just doing:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper
                      and avoiding all the compiling?

eriefisher
                      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I typed the command suggested. I got a response back 'Couldn't find package ndiswrapper.

Comment

I'm also running the install command from /Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.48
                          LS command shows and ndiswrapper.spec, ndiswrapper.8 and some driver, utils, makefile, changelog, authors, loadndisdriver.9, and readme file.

I need to get this going so I can install a USB 802.11g device.

Comment

Working...
                          X