Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is KOffice ready to replace OpenOffice.org in Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kubuntu developers amongst others would like to know how well KOffice is doing compared to OpenOffice.org at the moment.

It would be very helpful If those of you who has experienced both of these Office suits could point out pros&cons regarding both.
    * Remember to mention the versionnumbers.

Here's also some additional information regarding KOffice by default in Kubuntu
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Wait for KOffice 2.0
    0%

Re: Is KOffice ready to replace OpenOffice.org in Kubuntu?

Waiting for KOffice 2.0. Why?

1. It's a bit too late to make such a drastic change to Kubuntu at this point in time. KOffice 2.0 (and KDE 4.0) gives us the perfect opportunity and excuse to do so.

2. While I like KOffice now, I'd have to say that in some areas, it's not that good compared to OpenOffice.org. But it's getting there.

3. MS Office format compatibility. Heck even OO.o compatiblity! Neither of which is KOffice's fault. But with the recent Google Summer of Code project, compability with ODF might go a notch higher, overtaking OO.o (which isn't 100% compliant with ODF either, so they say). As for MS Office compatiblity... that's a losing battle as far as the developers are concerned, and it's still my major issue with KOffice...
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

The question _isn't_"Should we replace OOo with KOffice now"

The question isn't
      Should we replace OOo with KOffice now, but if users think KOffice is ready to replace OOo as it is now
      So I think the answer option "Wait for KOffice 2.0" is wrong and I'm considering removing it

Edit: After careful consideration I've removed the "Wait for KOffice 2.0" vote option (EditEdit: Or so I thought...), for those of you who'll miss this vote option, simply vote no and state your reason in a post

Comment

No. It will be probably ready in KOffice 2.0. Same reasons.
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Can someone please tell, what the big differencese will be between these two office-suites?

Why should I eventually switch from on to another?

I'm just curious, I'm not using OpenOffice very much but if KOffice is or will be better, I might switch.
          / Samme<br /><br />- We came to wreck everything! God sent us!<br /><br />

Comment

My humble opinion

I've experienced the same differences between the two office suits as stated on this wiki: KOffice by default in Kubuntu (Same link that's mentioned at the bottom of the threadhead)

I have yet to experienced lacks of functionality in KOffice compared to OOo, but then again, I'm not a frequent office suite user.

Comment

I currently use koffice for my daily office software needs (which it meets quite nicely). I use openoffice occasionally as well.

Some of the koffice applications are in my opinion on par with with their openoffice counterparts (like kexi).

I'd still wait for 2.0 or 2.1 to replace openoffice in the default installation, it's a 'big' change after all...I am all for the change when the time comes, though.

Comment

I am currently writing my dissertation using koffice, i have both Open Office and Koffice installed, so far I prefere Kword as its much lighter and quicker to load up, also using the koffice workspace is handy as i navigate between multiple spreadsheets and text documents without clogging up the taskbar, the main problem for me with Koffice is integration, as lectures send me spreadsheets with graphs in them from microsoft office i can only view them in Open Office. Open Office i have to use as check for anything koffice may have missed such as picture or graphs embedded in MS word or excel documents, overall i do prefere Koffice as i find it lighter and more stable than Open Office when it comes to handling mulitiple and large files, (this may be from running an old laptop though) and good recovery, which is what i want when writting this dissertation.

Comment

Working...
                X