This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to resize HD?

I am dual booting between XP and Kubuntu Feisty. Thing is I am thinking about taking some HD space away from Windows and giving it to Kubuntu via GParted editor. Originally XP partition was shrunk to allow for Kubuntu. Main question is when I take space away from XP partition and it becomes free space, which Linux partition do I add it to and exactly what steps would I take, don't wanna end up with unusable space.

Re: Best way to resize HD?

Hi,

I think GParted should quite easily take care of this. All you have to do is open Gparted and resize the windows partition essentially taking away all the free space from the Windows partition.

Now where to put that free space depends on how you have partitioned your harddrive. I will assume that your linux harddisk includes a small SWAP partition and the rest is a linux partition. All you would have to do is resize the linux partition to make it bigger (i.e. take all the free space).

BFC

Comment

I would suggest using the gparted live cd:
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

The main reason being you may run into (major) difficulties resizing a running partition.

Another idea would be to create a fat32 partition and copy your windows and /home personal files over to there. This way you can use/edit/add files in that partition and "share" them between winxp and kubuntu.
      Another reason for this is simple security thinking.
      All your personal files are separate from the OS's so that if you need to reinstall a OS for any reason your data is safe an always accessible.
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Be sure and defrag the windows partition before attempting to resize it. Best to run defrag in safe mode to get a thorough defrag.

Comment

Working...
        X