Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better printer support in linux than Windoze!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better printer support in linux than Windoze!!!!

I needed to quick print off directions to a wedding we were going to, yeah i shoulda done it earlier lol. But anyway my wife has a nice 3-in-1 HP printer that has tons of software which in windows you have to install in order to get it to work. I have tried it other ways before on my windoze partition and it just will not work. So anyway I plugged it into my laptop ran the Kubuntu printer wizard and vuala done. Works perfectly not ifs or buts about it. No extra clunky software to install or anything.

And people say Windows has better hardware support, my butt! lol.

Re: Better printer support in linux than Windoze!!!!

What is the exact model if I may ask..

Comment

HP Photosmart Express C3180. Very nice all-in-one printer.

Comment

I just purchased and installed this very model. Works great. You should use the HP tool box. It will monitor you cartridges and and allow alot of other handy thing.

The hp tool tool box is in the repos.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

HP makes good hardware, but for some reason they've become the king of bloat in their driver and software department. It's so crazy that the scanner I've had for years, and handed over to my mom and her boyfriend when it wasn't supported in linux when I first switched over three years ago, it stopped working on OS X because it was an older iMac and the latest drivers for the scanner were so obscene in size and bloat that the computer just couldn't keep up with it. When sane gets updated in the repositories again, I should be able to get the scanner working on my computer again though, and it should be happy.

The printer I have from HP works awesome under the linux too. Even when I was using Mandrake when I first switched, I found it pretty easy to set up. The current printer tools under *buntu are wicked simple, I think even my dad could handle the install.

Comment

I'm a little envious of those HP printers and Linux drivers. When the "refill" light starts blinking on my Epson C84, it's the beginning of a mystery hunt to figure out which cartridge is the guilty party -- the Gutenprint driver does a great job of printing, but as far as helping monitor the ink situation ..... :P

Comment

My wife uses the printer and she has the full bloatware installed on hers so she monitors ink. I have nothing but the driver installed in Kubuntu right now .

Comment

Originally posted by eriefisher
                The hp tool tool box is in the repos.
                I tried looking for it using adept manager, and I had no luck. I've got the standard repositories, universe, multiverse and backports all enabled, as well as having added medibuntu. What's the package name?

Comment

Death Kitten

It should be HPLIP Toolbox try that.
                  Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Well, I found a package called hplip, which I already have installed, and it says it includes a GUI toolbox, is that what I'm looking for?

Comment

That 's right it is install by default. You need to add it to your kmenu or entering the following command in a terminal.

$ hp-toolbox
                      Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Shiny. Thanks.

Apparently I'm down to the last 5th of my black ink cartridge. I'll have to see if I have an extra stashed somewhere.

Comment

Um I hear HP is good for Linux, nopt Lexmark, I have an X3350 and it dont work and its my printer AND scanner so I am twice as pissed...
                          My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X