• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Text Editors for Kubuntu

Originally posted by Jucato
    Originally posted by RealG187
    Why is Kate advanced, what does it do?
    Just a note regarding that site:
    KatePart is the sort of "base" text editing part which both Kate and KWrite, as well as some other text editing related apps (like programming IDE's, web authoring apps) use. This makes it possible to have important powerful features to be available to as many apps as possible. Kate and KWrite themselves are graphical "wrappers" around KatePart, with KWrite being the simplistic alternative and Kate the more powerful one.
    Like how Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLOS, Fedora, etc are all Linux but different?
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Linux is nothing but a kernel, absolutely nothing more and nothing less.
      Everything "around" can be customized by whoever wants to mess with the open source. This is why there are many different Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
        Why is Kate advanced, what does it do?
        Just a note regarding that site:
        KatePart is the sort of "base" text editing part which both Kate and KWrite, as well as some other text editing related apps (like programming IDE's, web authoring apps) use. This makes it possible to have important powerful features to be available to as many apps as possible. Kate and KWrite themselves are graphical "wrappers" around KatePart, with KWrite being the simplistic alternative and Kate the more powerful one.
        Like how Ubuntu, Kubuntu, PCLOS, Fedora, etc are all Linux but different?
        Not quite. I'm talking here about something like OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) in Windows. The proper term for it in KDE is KParts. Basically, some KDE apps have a small core piece of themselves that can be used and embedded in other apps. For example, katepart is that small core text editing KPart that can be used in any app that needs text editing. In fact this is used in Kate (Advanced Text Editor), KWrite (basic text editor), Quanta (Web Development app), and KDevelop (KDE IDE). In this case, katepart contains the core functionality of text editing (see the kate web page for information), while the 4 apps I mentioned provide a GUI customized for their own purpose: KWrite just has a basic, no frills UI, Kate offers more advanced document handling plus some features like an embedded Konsole or File/Folder Finder, Quanta includes web develoment utilities and functions, KDevelop has tools you need for building apps.
        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

On the subject of Backup Copies, I think you can disable them in the options in Kwrite. They really annoyed me too, especially that all I usually do with my text editor is write HTML and write down notes.

But yeah, I too think that Kate is kind of complicated for nothing. I'm glad they'll only make Kwrite the default in KDE4, because when I first started on linux, Kate was intimidating me. Anyway I use Kwrite for most purposes. It's much faster to load on my machine (I got a P3 too). I tried KEdit a while ago. . . the only thing I find it lacks is syntax highlighting (which I need because I do HTML)

Comment

Kedit also lacks spellchecking, line numbering (I think), and encoding.

I find it amusing that people find Kate to be very much more complicated than kwrite, specially on Kubuntu (which has rearrange the toolbars to make it look simpler), considering that Kate visibly only has 2 more menus and 4 sidebars (2 left, 2 bottom) compared to KWrite. Perhaps 2 seconds more of waiting is too long, but I think it's a nice tradeoff considering I don't need to have 5 kwrite windows open to edit 5 files, that I can save all opened files and have them open up all at once again later on.

Although the "Configure Kate" window does look intimidating at first glance. Other apps that use katepart (Quanta, KDevelop, etc) actually have separate windows for the Configure Application and Configure Editor part, but Kate combines then in one window.
            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
            X