This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adept & System Settings

I'm very green and do not understand a lot of the tech details but need help when trying to become admin. System settings does not like my password when it asks for it and will not let me make any changes where admin is required. When I run Adept It lets me in with my password but updates will not show and seems to be missing some packages I need like pixbuf. I installed an older version (5.10) and the only user I put in was myself.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Re: Adept & System Settings

sometimes old is good.
    but 5.10 is, well, too old.
    if you like old (read polished/stable), which is more than understandable, then install at least 6.06 LTS.

mtcw
    hth
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

I considered it, but every CD I burned for it will not install. So I went back to 5.10. Hopefully some one will have a suggestion. I believe that for some reason it does not have me as the root but since I'm the only user listed I'm lost as to what to do. I did read that all I need to do is change the root to myself, but each time I try to follow the directions, I can't find the location containing that data (except in the system tools which I can't use without being root).

Thanks
      Joel

Comment

support for breezy badger (i.e. ubuntu 5.10) ended in april this year.
        there's no more breezy badger stuff in the repositories.
        if you point your browser to the default repositories, you'll see you'll only get stuff from dapper onwards (i.e., 6.06).
        so, no updates for breezy, no nothing...

if you edit the repositories from inside adept you should see they point to breezy.
        the only thing the crops up my mind is to replace breezy with dapper in adept and try a dist-upgrade...
        dodgy, but maybe worth a go in your case.

i don't know if there's any unofficial breezy repositories still around.
        there may be.

this said...
        all ubuntus will ask for your own password when having to carry out admin tasks.
        you don't have to tweak anything.
        and, i'd dare say, if it works for adept, it'll have to work for the rest as well.

also...
        it's weird that you can't get your box to boot with the newer stuff.
        but, there's a lot of different hardware out there, there may be some stupid issue...
        in these cases you can try the (gnome based) ubuntu desktop cd.
        try and boot ubuntu and see if your box likes that.
        then proceed with installation.
        we can easily switch to kde later.

or try the minimal install image here .
        i like that.
        it's a net install, basically.
        let's you pick the type of installation (ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, ...)
        and downloads all of the stuff from the net on the fly.
        so no need to do a dist-upgrade right after the installation from the live cd.

see if (some of) this helps,
        cheers.
        gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks jankushka. Now I understand it better. So I believe what I will do is what I should have from the beginning... Get my other box out and install Dapper or the new Feisty and see what happens. Seems like the most logical approach.

Thanks again jankushka!

Best to you
          Joel

Comment

Working...
          X