X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A poll on Linux usage

This poll is in response to this little tidbit:
    http://www.linuxtoday.com/news/2007080500226OSMRSW

Please take the time and patience to respond to this poll and eventual specifics.

This poll is not multiple choice so I'll add another question:
    Would you buy a preloaded Linux box if it were available in your country?

Thank you for your time and keep on enjoying

Cheers
    Fintan
    Linux is my main / standard OS for home/work and will remain for the foreseeable future.
    0%
    I double boot with Linux and another OS (please specify usage for each OS)
    0%
    I am testing Linux for later usage.
    0%
    I am playing with Linux but will probably stick with my current OS (please specify why)
    0%
    I have installed (used various Live CD's) Linux but can't / won't use it now for soft- / hardware reasons (please specify).
    0%
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: A poll on Linux usage

I've been windows free since '04, and quite happy about it. ^_^

As for the prebuilt linux installed box thing.. yeah, the answer is depends. Being in the US, Dell already offers the Ubuntu on some of their computers, and if I had the money I could go out and buy one right now. However, I'm not inclined to buy from Dell after games they've played in the past and currently (partnering with Wal-mart for a retail presence? Can we sink lower people?)

My desktop is home built and I don't plan to ever buy a pre-built desktop computer again. I like playing with the guts of my machine. *grin* However, I do have a serious craving for laptoppy goodness. My budget says no laptop right now, but when the funds are available you can bet that I will be buying myself one. If a vendor that I don't find absolutely horrible is offering Kubuntu pre-installed, or at least Ubuntu, I'll give them first consideration for purchase, but I vote politically and socially speaking with my money. I try to buy from companies that treat their employees and customers well, I try to buy from companies who either stay out of the political arena or at least support candidates/politicians I don't absolutely hate, but I also have to stick with what my budget can afford. If the only socially and politically sound vendor with any flavor of Linux pre-installed costs a dren load more than another vendor that isn't much worse, or even better, I'll buy the cheap windows box and just format, install and make a gorram stink until that vendor refunds me the money for the windows installed on my new laptop.

So I suppose that comes down to "I'll try, but my budget and social/political conscience may get in the way".

Comment

I use Kubuntu and xp on vmare for my adobe stuff.

Comment

I do have a dual boot set up but it has been a long time since I booted into windows and that was only for a file system check when I changed some partitions. Before that I don't remember. Why is it still there?
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

Linux is my main OS. However, I still have Windows XP on another partition, for those very rare moments that I or someone else needs it (specially since the laptop isn't really mine).
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Linux (Kubuntu) is the main OS, though I do keep a light windows install available.
            As for pre-built systems OS : I preffer to build one myself (desktop) , while on choosing my laptop the OS played no part at all

Comment

Dual-boot with Windows XP x64 because of 3DS Max 9 x64 and Borland C++ Builder 5/2007.

Comment

Dual-booting with M$ Vista (came pre-installed). Started with Kubuntu Edgy Eft on my previous laptop. Running Kubuntu Feisty Fawn on my new laptop.

I'm not sure I would by a laptop pre-loaded with Linux - would be the same now with M$ Windoze, in that you don't get a choice of which Linux. What I would buy, is a PC that was 'Linux Certified' as to the architecture and hardware - that would 'work out of the box' with a Linux install of the buyers choice.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unless you count a VMWare Player session running Win XP, I'll claim to be M$-free.

Comment

Poll-wise: the first three options are not mutually exclusive (the second could apply with the first or the third).

Me-wise: I use Kubuntu for everything except gaming, if the game doesn't work well enough through Wine. My laptop is Linux-only.

Comment

Since my laptop is a wonderfull functioning compaq presario 1200 with 6gb and 256ram windows has discontinued their support of any system that would work on my machine, and I suspect that as policy they will continue to drop those people who do not move on to newer machines. So the real question is not so much who uses linux or who would like to buy linux pre-installed but more one of how long before computer owners realize that owning a copy of windows is only having something with a finite tenure, which sooner or later becomes unsupported, in other words, how long before they realize that their computers will outlast their windows os, to have windows installed in the long run is to have nothing installed.
                      every day is a gift

Comment

I have Kubuntu 7.04 installed and use it as my main OS. Only in rare ocassions do I use the WinXP partition and then only for gaming.

Comment

all my old boxes (3) use linux (K/Ubuntu) though extremely rarely. My MacBook pro 15" is my main computer and its dual boot windows for the rare occasion i need a windows box. my G4 PowerBook runs kubuntu and osx 10.3 but 99% of the time its in kubuntu, in fact i only put osx back on for something i was doing last december. Atm i'm building a new desktop system to mainly be a storage server (6x500GB drives) and will run it dual boot kubuntu and windows for gaming aswell

I only ever really use linux for testing servers for web developing but i do that most of the time so i use it quite often! its a nice OS now that i've taken the time to use it properly and get used to it!

Comment

I haven.t touched window$ in monthseven though it is on my other hd I will probably get rid of window$ and free up 30 gigs
                            Used to use it for battlefield bur EA is getting like M$ so no use for win
                            Gotta get wife to use kubuntu get window$ out of the house

Comment

Here is how it is:

Family PC Windoze XP Home
                              Laptop I use most of the time (Stolen so I use Pentium 3 IBM) -- Vista Home Premium, was goona put Kubutnu on it but it got stolen )
                              Pentium 3: Dual boot Windows XP Pro Hybrid Ubunu/Kubuntu 6.10 which I am using now, and use all time since my Laptop is gone, I hardly ever use the Windoze XP, and am getting closer to ditching it!
                              Old Crappy Compaq deskpro 4000 Ubuntu 6.10 no sound or Internet , might install Xubuntu, but dont wanna reinstall as the Ubutnu install alternate CD took like 5 hours.

Seanix one, I think Windoze XP pro, I have a hard drive in there where I will install Linux if I ever get time...
                              My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X