This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for note-taker-style flatfile searchable database app

just realized how difficult it is to describe what i'm trying to find in the subject of a message . . .

used to be, back in the dos days, a dandy little application called "info-select." you'd open a window and type in anything -- names and addresses, notes, to-do lists, whatever. totally free-form. and totally searchable. it was very popular, but i've in 10 years found nothing in the *nix world that approaches it. the closest i found was xmbase-grok, which i used until switching to kubuntu over the weekend. i have addresses and notes and other information going ack for years in my grok database, which is a single textfile. i sought to install grok under ubuntu, but the whole thing has been deprecated.

so i'm seeking a replacement. for a time it looked as if kjots might work, but it never got searchable and it has itself apparently been deprecated.

i'm not looking for something elaborate, no sql database or anything like that. just a nice little desktop app, sort of an unstructured pim. freshmeat seems to have nothing.

anyone know of such an application, and where it might be found?

thanks in advance.

Re: looking for note-taker-style flatfile searchable database app

i send myself emails.
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuxcards/

Comment

<laughing> sorry, but i heard that in the voice of ralph from "the simpsons"!</laughing>

not sure that that solves the problem. but thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
          many thanks. this looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
            hmmm. downloaded it and it does indeed look good -- but it is not searchable. i have gotten the similar-looking treepad lite, which is a binary-only, statically linked (so it will presumably always work), but kinda ugly little app. search is crucial, though, and treepad does this, though it is not optimal.

Comment

and i was wrong -- it *is* searchable. the search is cleverly hidden!

Comment

What does it mean to be "flatfile"? I'm wondering because Basket seems to be a good app for this, except I don't know whether it's a flatfile database or not...

http://basket.kde.org
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                  What does it mean to be "flatfile"? I'm wondering because Basket seems to be a good app for this, except I don't know whether it's a flatfile database or not...

http://basket.kde.org
                  bingo! that's it! far better than anything i hoped to find, actually. perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by dep
                    bingo! that's it! far better than anything i hoped to find, actually. perfect!
                    Still doesn't answer my question. But I'm glad you liked it.
                    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                    X