This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beryl

Sorry if this has already been posted, but after looking for this, I just couldn't find what I was after.

I just recently installed Kubuntu 7.04, along with Beryl, then I ran into a problem. Beryl boots fine, and its window manager loads correctly, but minus the window borders and title bars, etc. Apart from that, Beryl works very smoothly on the highest settings possible, but it's incredibly annoying to not have the windows borders. I have Emerald installed as the window decorator, and at first I suspected it was that, but wiping it out entirely and reinstalling it never worked.

I'm using Pentium 3 800MHz, 512Mb RAM, NVidia Geforce4 MX440 (It was all I could afford, honest! ) with the latest driver installed correctly. Bare in mind, I'm completely Linux-illiterate, apart from having managed to do the aforementioned things through trial and error.

Any help will be much appreciated

Re: Beryl

You have the famous Beryl "missing window decorator" problem, although Emerald is the right answer, so I'm not sure exactly what is wrong.

Did you first run Beryl in a console window -- did it report your system is good to go?

How about
    Code:
    glxgears
    -- what was the reported frame rate?

Comment

Glxgears reported a framerate of 2097fps (although that was after about 10 listings)

When I ran it from Konsole though, it booted up fine, and it said it passed everything for the graphics card. When I enabled the Beryl window manager though, it said in the console:

"beryl: Couldn't bind redirected window 0x340002b to texture
      beryl: pixmap 0x100015e can't be bound to texture"

This doesn't stop it from wobbling the windows around, or rotating through the desktops.

Comment

Is it even remotely possible, that Set Window Attrib by various criteria (Beryl Settings Manager | Window Management | Set Window Attrib by various criteria) has been marked, and items affecting windows borders added?
        Attached Files
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Open a console window and enter this:

Code:
          sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals --composite
          Then restart the X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace. I'll cross my fingers ... :P

Comment

Bad news... It failed to work...

But on the plus side, the command line said something about being unable to use pixmaps (?), so I went searching through the rendering options, and found a part where it had a list with Automatic, Pixmaps, or Copy. So I changed it to copy, and success!

Thanks for helping though. You don't know how happy it's made me, being able to tease people from school about their boring Windows desktops :P

Comment

Working...
            X