Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any opensource software for writing novels.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there any opensource software for writing novels.

I recently decided that I want to write a novel. I just want to know if there are any open source software that I could use. I have seen several commercial software packages for windows, but want something for my Kubuntu system, preferably free, but that is not a requirement.

Re: Are there any opensource software for writing novels.

Any arguments against Open Office Writer ...?

Comment

I use Open Office for all my writing, fiction included.

Comment

It would depend on what format the publisher requires. Open Office is great but for just unformatted text you could use any text editor. You should have at least one on your system now(kate) but there are a ton of them.
        ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

For professional writing you could check out some latex editors (like Kile).
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

(It is mostly used for scientific writing, but can be used for novels as well)

Of course there is nothing wrong in using word processors or text editors if you prefer, as long as the publishers are ok with it (like eriefisher pointed out)

Comment

I know I can use any text editor. I meant, was there some sort software kit that can help with keeping track of dates in the story timeline, character features, brainstorming, etc.
            Thanks for your time

Comment

I wasn't aware I needed special software to keep my notes organized. I still like paper for brainstorming myself, and I keep important notes either at the beginning or end of my file that I'm typing the story it. In extreme cases, I'll even start a new text file for the notes, but that's not common.

Comment

i am not aware of any writing software, but you could find basKet useful for organizing notes

Comment

Working...
                X