This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can I use linux to mend windows,

I already can see the advantage of using a live CD to test the computer specs but I was wondering how to use the live CD towards the xp system, and if kubuntu is the right live CD to use with XP when for example windows safemode is not working and the computer won't boot normally. Can one use kubuntu as a windows repair disk.
    every day is a gift

Re: how can I use linux to mend windows,

this may be better:
    http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux.html

cheers
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

thanks, interesting distro, I will try it out on a windows system.
      every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
        I already can see the advantage of using a live CD to test the computer specs but I was wondering how to use the live CD towards the xp system, and if kubuntu is the right live CD to use with XP when for example windows safemode is not working and the computer won't boot normally. Can one use kubuntu as a windows repair disk.
        Have you tried booting from a windows CD and entering console mode? There are commands to repair the MBR in there, fixmbr as far as I remember. You can also run the installer as though upgrading, so as to retain your existing files, settings and programs. I have done this many times! Now I do a similar thing with Linux!

Comment

thanks, but I was wondering if linux offered something that straight forward repairing the system didn't, I have never see anyone suggesting a linux solution to a windows problem on the boards I am on, and yet I imagine that there are things that linux can do like resize the partition, test the ram, etc, that would be of great help, but being new to linux I have only windows solutions to windows problems, a pity when it would entice others to keep a copy of linux handy. thanks
          every day is a gift

Comment

Apart from the above there are:
            http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

and of course:

http://www.knoppix.org/
            which is probably one of the best live cd's around
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

knoppix I knew but the other is just what I shall be plugging once I try it out myself, it certainly look promising, thanks
              every day is a gift

Comment

after introducing system rescue cd to people on another board they came back with the following

Knoppix, Ubuntu & Linux MInt live CD's will also do the same things.
                so I am wondering if I should just let be, or if there is an advantage to system rescue CD, I haven't tried it yet but I get the feeling that it look far more exact than the others towards rescuing systems or is that just the web site is more in that style.
                every day is a gift

Comment

Originally posted by fleamailman
                  Knoppix, Ubuntu & Linux MInt live CD's will also do the same things.
                  Of course, you could make them do what SystemRescueCD does - (i.a.) by manually installing applications to any (!) live system (read: temporarily) which the "rescue system" containts out of the ("durable") box ... go figure

Comment

Yes, stuff like this:
                    http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

thanks, for these posts, first off I must say that I was surprised by the reaction at the other board when I presented the rescue CD as an idea, perhaps it had more to do with an unwillingness to change from whatever way they are already using to mend their windows systems, but I really do appreciate this distro if one thinks of both what it does and the price that one would otherwise pay to use windows apps in its place.

I think I will stick to system rescue CD for the moment, because anything that gets people to try linux on their systems has to be a plus, even if it is way then.

once again thanks,
                      every day is a gift

Comment

Working...
                      X