X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and Windows: Dual Boot Problem

Greetings,

After a lifetime of using Windows I finally made the switch to Linux. I set up a dual boot of Windows XP and Kubuntu on my desktop. I love Kubuntu so far and it works fine. However, I get the bluescreen of death everytime I try to boot Windows.

Here's what I did....

With the XP install disk, I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled XP on a NTFS partition, leaving about 50 gigs of unpartitioned space for Kubuntu. I booted up Windows normally without a hitch. Then I put in the Kubuntu disk and booted from that. The installation went fine and I partitioned the rest of the unpartitioned space on my drive for Kubuntu.

So far so good.

Then, after Kubuntu was installed and running fine. I try to boot into XP and get the blue screen of death within a few seconds.

I've tried reinstalling both XP and Kubuntu and the exact same thing happens. Nothing seems to work. XP works fine as long as Kubuntu is not installed.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Re: Kubuntu and Windows: Dual Boot Problem

Did you install XP on the FIRST partition on that hard drive? That's where it likes to be.

Comment

Is there a grub error? Or is grub actually finding windows but it just won't boot.
      ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

You don't say what size disk this was. When you install kubuntu, make sure grub is installed on the MBR. There are ways to use the windows start menu too. Possibly also look at grub4dos.

I asked about disk size because you can have trouble on older PCs if the linux grub files are inaccessible to your PC BIOS. One possibility is

Small partition for windows boot files
        Small partition for /boot
        Small partition for swap
        Large partition for Windows primary drive (d
        Large partition for /

That is, if you can't fit a second drive...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike0001
          When you install kubuntu, make sure grub is installed on the MBR.
          This is not a good idea if you want to still have access to your other installed OS! there can be only one boot loader in the MBR. Grub doesn't have to be, nor does it require, that it be installed in the MBR.

Look at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0 for Qqmikes HOWTO guide for Grub. It will provide you with a large amount of quality information concerning Grub and it's installation for dual/multi boot systems.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Whew, finally got it working. I reinstalled everything and messed around with the partitioning options in the Kubuntu installation and somehow got it to work.

Thanks everyone for your time and help

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog

This is not a good idea if you want to still have access to your other installed OS! there can be only one boot loader in the MBR. Grub doesn't have to be, nor does it require, that it be installed in the MBR.

Grub works fine from the mbr on dual boot. I have three XP installs and a kubuntu install with grub on the mbr. On boot I get the grub screen if I choose xp I go to the XP bootloader screen to choose which xp install I want.

Comment

Exactly what I do Grub is on MBR and i can choose from Kubuntu or WinXP and both boot fine. Though Windows still doesn't work as well as Kubuntu in my humble opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X