This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

konqueror doesn't really copy the files to any usb connected media

This problem is beyond me. I've searched bug reposts for KDE and the this forum and Google but it looks like no one had the same problem. I have a HP Pavilion dv8000 series laptop and whenever I want to copy something on a USB key it first copies really fast (too fast), then it drops to 32kbs and when it's done the files are there. But after you unplug it from usb and plug it in again the files aren't there.

An old usb key might have been destroyed by this, because after a few successful copys the poor thing reports 100% full evn though there is no files on it.

I've tried to copy some pics to my gf's usb key and nothing copied on it... so i stopped trying, not to bust this one to...

Re: konqueror doesn't really copy the files to any usb connected media

You're supposed to mount & u(n)mount such a gadget, not just rip it out of the slot :P

Background: in an attempt to take care of those short-lived devices, Linux caches read/write actions, thus reducing actual access ... without a proper checkout, however, there will be no "methodical uncaching" (at least not predictable ...).

Comment

so if you see this device in konqueror it isn't already mounted?

Comment

I had the same problem when I switched from Windows.
        If you can copy to it, it's mounted. (I guess, otherwise somebody will surely correct me).

But you have to rightclick on the usb-icon and choose 'safely remove' and wait till it's finished. It should work than.
        (The words 'safely remove' may differ a bit, I've a Dutch desktop)

Comment

Originally posted by Goeroeboeroe
          I had the same problem when I switched from Windows.
          If you can copy to it, it's mounted. (I guess, otherwise somebody will surely correct me).

But you have to rightclick on the usb-icon and choose 'safely remove' and wait till it's finished. It should work than.
          (The words 'safely remove' may differ a bit, I've a Dutch desktop)
          This is correct -- if you see it, it is already mounted. But as U.R. says, if you just yank out the thumb drive from the USB connector, the files that you "saw" there might actually have been sitting in cache waiting for their turn to be written out to the media. So they're not actually written yet, and that's how you lose them. Use the "umount" or "Safely Remove" or "Eject" command on it -- whichever you find when you right-click the device icon.

Comment

ok thanks for the help, i'll test it when i get the chance...

p.s.
            isn't this a bit to complicated for everyday use... inconvinient

Comment

Originally posted by KoRnholio8
              isn't this a bit to complicated ... inconvinient
              Is stopping a car before getting out inconvinient and/or complicated?
              Maybe - but on the long run, it's gonna save you a lot of problems

Comment

i'm sorry but i have to compare it to win... there this step just isn't needed and that's what i meant by convinience...

Comment

Originally posted by KoRnholio8
                  i'm sorry but i have to compare it to win
                  there this step just isn't needed
                  In fact, it is (as indicated by one of the tray icons) - although some folks prefer to ignore this and get away with it (most of the times, that is ... which, by the way, applies to Linux as well, somehow ...).

Comment

Working...
                  X