This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customizing a live CD.

So, after my adventures in using the Feisty Fawn live CD this week when my xorg.conf was frelled, I thought it might be a useful thing to do if I were to customize a Live CD with all the important and regularly used programs I like, if I get stuck in that situation again, or if I'm having to borrow someone else's computer and I really need to get real work done instead of having to fix their windows install before I can do anything else.

I googled a bit for tutorials, and the three I bookmarked as they looked promising were:

http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/index.php
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Li...ization%2F6.06
    http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/ubu...tom-livecd.htm

Does anyone have any experience working with any of those tutorials/programs, or have any suggestions on where else I should look for some guidance? I might be taking a job for a small company that looks to have nothing but windows installed on all their computers and I really know I'll go crazy if I have to do actual webmaster work on a windows box, so I'm hoping to put something together soon so I'll actually be able to work should I land the job. Eventually the goal is to have a laptop which I can have everything I need on, but until that budget works out, I'd like the live CD as an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice and personal experience any of you might have to share with me.

Re: Customizing a live CD.

Also, I do remember reading up on how to pair a Live CD with a pen drive to allow certain customizable options and personal files to be edited and saved on the fly, so I might also look into that. Any thoughts on that topic would also be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Have you seen this Linux Journal article? It starts with Knoppix, which always seemed to me to be the best way to make a live CD if you couldn't just use a stock version of Knoppix. Of course Knoppix is now a DVD and if you're laptop doesn't have a DVD drive ...

Comment

could one add files to g live cd? dsl is only 5O mb but a cd~r has 7OO!
        My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Of course you can. That's what this is about. Check the references in the earlier posts. Personally, I'd start with something more substantial than DSL, though.

Comment

DSL cant do much, but back when it was the only Linux I used (didnt have internet on my comupter and to download 700 MB on a PSP would take 7 hours) I wanted to try it but didnt wanna spend money on a 700MB disk and only use 50!!
            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X