This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vmware as a default install?

I am using Kubuntu and would like to drop Windoze although I do have Win apps that I want to use. I have found installing vmware an absolute pain and still have not managed it. My question is why does not 'Ubuntu' (& cie) install vmware by default?

I am sure that many people would find this a real bonus as they move from Windoze.

Can I suggest this anywhere and does anyone else agree?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: vmware as a default install?

I'm not sure why you're having trouble installing vmware. Both vmware-player and vmware-server are available as kubuntu packages. In addition, you need the appropriate kernel modules (see the package descriptions). Have you activated the multiverse repository for your country? I believe you'll find everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt
      ...why does not 'Ubuntu' (& cie) install vmware by default?
      a) vmware's not free.
      b) Many people rather use QEmu to emulate Windows completely.
      c) More people would rather use Wine to emulate Windows partially.
      d) Even more people would rather use an equivalent Linux app.

It shouldn't be a big deal to install vmware if you want it. There's no need for it to be in the default image when most people would never use it.
      Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the replies - more welcome.

I had never heard of QEmu but have since read up on it and it looks quite powerful. I will (in time) give it a shot.

As to my problems with vmware I always get some odd but small and niggling problem which - being very new to Linux - I find difficult to resolve. I've asked quite a few questions on these forums and don't want to overdo it so I'm trying to sort stuff out myself. Trouble is there is so much info. all over the place and it does not always say the same thing!

I thought vmware-server and 'tools' etc were free - hence the packages available?

One other comment. My point was that pure non-command line Windoze types like me would find transition much easier if we could continue using our favourite Windoze apps (at least for a time). I really do feel that this would be a 'selling' point for Linux Distros.
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

I believe (means I really don't know) that Vmware thingies are "free as in beer", but not "as in speech", except for their mods to the Linux kernel which are under the GPL v.2 license, of course. Almost everyone in the Linux community prefers to use "free as in speech" software when it's available. Some folks, will go to varied lengths of inconvenience to avoid using non-"free as in speech" software. Personally, I'll even PAY for proprietary software when I need it to get something done.

Comment

Hi!

I'd advise going towards VirtualBox, it's super easy to setup and run in just a couple minutes.

I usually have 2 or 3 distros setup under it at any given time and it takes mere minutes to have them configured and on their way to installing. The same would be for windows.

I am sure I saw a simple how-to for it as well, even though I had it running on my system already.

Hope you make the full switch!

Keep your stick on the ice...

Landor

Comment

Working...
            X