X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody here still using Windoze?

Originally posted by MartC
    I will miss my call of duty 2 tho
    I think my brother got that game for PS2 today (Pawn Shop, haha Pawn is pwn with no a)

I got Ubuntu 6.10 on my P3 as I dont like Fiesty I have issues, I cant get online on my laptop, Automatix freezes on my dekstop. I got Ubuntu 6.10 and got online way faster and it actaully works. I will get KDE via: http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/kde...

Just for "resticted codecs" and gonna put KDE on now. And yeah, before I coudnt sign on to the site!
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MartC
      I will miss my call of duty 2 tho
      Seems that CoD2 can be installed through Cedega

http://games.cedega.com/gamesdb/game...l?game_id=4011

Regards,

MepisReign
      Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Nope, it was God of war he got ;(...

Anyways, what Cedaga? Is that one of those things to run Windoze games in Linux but they cost so thats why Wine would be better, if only it worked with advanced games...
        My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I removed windows when Kopete introduced Webcam for Yahoo and I've never looked back.

Funny, but it was the only thing holding me back and I had tried to use Wine many times unsuccessfully to bring the full Yahoo version of messenger over.

I think the Kopete developers should offer up some code for yahoo, even at a price to help them get their source version up to Kopete's level of excellence.

Comment

USE XP PRO and Kubuntu as Virtual Machines on PPC mac mini OSX
            use OS X as first pic,
            then XP for Excel and Photoshop CS2 (legacy software)
            and Kubuntu is still experimental for me since until the tweaks I posted
            was too slow as virtual machine....
            was PC Intel guy for long time
            but OS X just runs and runs and never breaks!!!! So I switched.
            I like Linux cause Microsoft is a rip.
            Only Linux Distro that works out of the Box though is DSL (DamnSmallLinux)
            due to the 24 bit graphics start up conflicting with VPC S3 card...come on
            Linux get this together.
            Like KDE lots though...very close to being able to replace Windows if the installs
            went right.
            Samba is not the easiest thing either. Linux shows it comes from geeks with apt-get etc
            and terminals and all, still needs to look at being a no brainer for the casual end user which it still is not, though as close as ever.
            Keep it up KUBUNTU!
            VISTA WHO?

Comment

I use a notebook and i have either windows (50 giga of hard disk) and kubuntu (10 giga) on it.
              Since i'm a great lover of aircrafts and helicopters i use windows only for flying with flight simulator or for some tests like safari on windows (don't try it ); instead i use kubuntu for all: working, development, studying, playing enemy territory or warsow, listening music, watching videos, navigating on internet and so on... But in those last days i finished my ten gigabyte of linux so my idea is to give to windows 20 giga and to kubuntu 40 giga

Comment

Originally posted by cjnkns
                Just curious how many people here still use Windoze in some capacity.

I am considering installing a distro on my main Windoze box so I thought this would be
                an opportune time to ask this question and get a good feel for whether or not I can live in a world without MS? (Well at home anyway)

Not if you have a Garmin GPS, edit DVDs, want to watch BBC programs, ...

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                  Nope, it was God of war he got ;(...

Anyways, what Cedaga? Is that one of those things to run Windoze games in Linux but they cost so thats why Wine would be better, if only it worked with advanced games...
                  Yes, indeed, you can run several "windows" games through Cedega and they will run just fine under Kubuntu. I have Starcraft, CoD and some other games running on Linux with no major issues. The game that I miss the most is Age of the Empires 2, it will run under Linux but with some problems.

Regards,

MepisReign
                  Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Just recently, I upgraded my trusty old Pentium 3 to a lovely new Core2Duo, and also invested in a new, less dingey case for both machines. What does this have to do with anything? Well, I have Kubuntu still humming along on it, no problems, and my new computer is sitting right next to it, with Windows XP Professional, churning out the games .

Believe me, it saved alot of hassles with rebooting whenever I'd want a go of something, but now, I just have to spin my chair!!!

Windows isn't terrible though. It's just a shame that the people who create it are terrible, in the way that they love money.

Comment

nogaplz, the last line you have aligns with my sentiments exactly.

My plan is to have two or three computers and two will have Windows but also Linux. But, I'll have one computer mostly on Windows until I become more comfortable with Linux.

I have a question and if anyone reads this, I hope you can answer it. ;-)

I am wondering how many distros can be installed and can you just have one partition that is data? I have the impression that even if you have debian-based distros, you cannot 'share' programs but that you can share files or transfer. Can anyone elaborate or clear things up for me, here?

I would like to try other varieties of Ubuntu to test certain things (Ubuntu and Kubuntu) and maybe two more distros. A 500 GB HDD is enough, right?

Comment

Yeah, 3 would be nice to have too, and I'd like to be able to do that soon, but there just isn't any money for a hard disk/dvd-rom drive for my other, slightly older Katmai P3 (it currently has neither).

Also, I think the electricity bill payers around here (my parents ;/ ) would lynch me.

Comment

I am wondering how many distros can be installed and can you just have one partition that is data? I have the impression that even if you have debian-based distros, you cannot 'share' programs but that you can share files or transfer. Can anyone elaborate or clear things up for me, here?
                          Sure. I have 2 data partitions in fat32 a /home partition 1 with all my users, 1 swap and 5 different linux partitions to play with.
                          Kubuntu gutsy (main)
                          mint kde community edition cassandra
                          mint celina (testing)
                          mepis 7.0 (testing)
                          pclinuxOS 2007 (soon to go)
                          windows xp as guest on vmware

You just have to decide which grub you want to use and edit accordingly.
                          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                          4 GB Ram
                          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I first installed Ubuntu 6.10 on a little server that I built from my old XP2200 Athlon box just to get a handle on Linux. That was about a month before feisty.
                            Now that box has 2 x 320G drives and serves most of my multimedia, software archive for PC builds, home folders for the rest of the household.

My new PC that I built about that time got Vista Ultimate 64, which was OK for about 3 months, then went nuts and nothing could be opened/accessed, so to get a useable system again got restored to XP pro.
                            Must say, Media centre under Vista is nice. Have a 300G, 320G, and 200G drive in this puppy.
                            Must be a bloody nutcase, I have 1.4TB of storeage at home!
                            About a month after Feisty came out I installed that, had a prick of a time setting up my TV out and getting decent sound over SPDIF, hated evolution, and changed to Kubuntu.
                            Have been there since, haven't booted windows for about 3 months. Had some issues with the Gutsy upgrade and had to reinstall Feisty though, but last week installed Gutsy over top of my XP partition.
                            Finally (after a couple of half arsed attempts) got my Brother MFC scanning over the network with sane/xsane, just had to follow Brothers very good instructions. Now dual boot Feisty/Gutsy.
                            Once I get Gutsy happy the feisty install will go.

I have an old Dell as a family PC that everyone uses, still on XP.
                            My wife is gradually getting the hang of doing some basics on Kubuntu, but it will be a while before she can cut the umbilical. I guess XP stays on that one. She struggles often with Windows as well though so may end up taking away that choice. Free myself from the maintenance burden as well. Hey, if she's going to cry about Windows frustrations she may as well learn the Linux way and cry about that instead.

I bought my oldest daughter a less than new Toshiba for school work etc and put Ubuntu/Kubuntu on that right away before giving it to her. No issues, no admin and maintenance dramas, and she is more than happy.

The kids pick it all up so damn quick. I caught my oldest boy installing a windows exe for the MU on line game under WINE the other day, and it worked.
                            Little bugger had only seen me use WINE once and he was straight into it!

So, 1 x Ubuntu 7.04 server, 1 x Kubuntu lap top for the daughter, 1 x Kubuntu desktop for me, 1 x XP desktop for the rest of the horde, 1 x XP lap top that I sold but then got lost under a pile of crap in the daughter's bed room and hasn't been given the treatment yet.
                            You don&#39;t need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                            X