This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody here still using Windoze?

I'm still running Windows because speech recognirion software in Linux is crude, unfinished and not within a parsec of being as effective or as user-friendly as Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Lots of helpful people offer links, but they all turn out to be very minimal CLI programs designed for basic app. control, nothing that would let me dictate letters and emails at normal speed with better than 99% accuracy, which DNS 9 does on my XP partition.
    Victoria concordia crescit<br />ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं

Comment

You may want to visit this link for a somewhat lyrical view of your difficult choice ...

http://performancepccanada.com/?defa...out&formfields[sect_title]=Editorial

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by francois
        You may want to visit this link for a somewhat lyrical view of your difficult choice ...

http://performancepccanada.com/?defa...out&formfields[sect_title]=Editorial

Good luck.
        LOL! That was both hysterically funny and more than a little sad:

To fully appreciate and use Linux, one must develop a relationship with the system and delve into the inner workings. One should learn to love typing at the command line, absorb arcane syntax and memorize manual pages. Like a genuine relationship, one needs to court Linux, to explore and discover the beautiful complexities and mysteries.
        I think I'd rather spend the time strengthening my realtionships with real live breathing humans, such as my wife and friends, than in "courting" an OS - any OS. I use Linux because it has tools not available in Windows, and I use Windows because it has tools not available in Linux. Both are simply means to an end, which is productive use of my time. I won't invest any emotional attachment in an OS, proprietary or FLOSS, although I have a very large stock of internal laughter reserved for those who do. In this regard, I genuinely admire the pragmatic down-to-earth attitude of Linus Torvalds, who would find that editorial almost as risible as I did, if his published interviews are any guide.
        Victoria concordia crescit<br />ओ पालन्हारे ... तुम्रे बिन हम्र कौनोन नहीं

Comment

I installed Linux about a month ago and the only reason I still use Windows sometimes is because I haven't figured out how to use inetcommunicator on Linux. I use that conferencing system for business but if I could get it to work on Linux I have no reason to use Windows.

Comment

XP is never far away, I try to get by without it but there are things that only XP offer meaning that my normal computer is kubuntu because it is a very clean system in terms of malware and a very friendly system in terms of other linux distros, yet the wifi remains the last problem for me, not that it is easy in XP either, so I have another laptop for the visiting the bistro that have wifi hotspots, also the I am not sure how far open office can replace my word and excel programs so that too worries me in that for example, if I were to send a something made in a program of open office, would the person receiving it on XP be able to open it, etc., and apart from this there are those games that I like such as Rometotalwar and others, which too make it hard to completely give up XP, meaning that I am a kubuntu user who is unlikely ever to return to XP for most things whereas I am also a XP user where I am either uncertain of the possibilities, or where no solution is offered under kubuntu.
            every day is a gift

Comment

I use kubuntu for email, surfing the net and some basic things.
              Yeah I still have windows for burning cds( have never been able to get K3b to work with MP3 and not got around to looking for another linux burner), games ( would like to try some of those under wine but have never been able to get nvidia video drivers working so still using vesa drivers) and quite a few other things. As much as I hate windows, I do not see any way to drop it until linux gets more refined or I have time to learn how to work around all its issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Batpuppy
                have never been able to get K3b to work with MP3 and not got around to looking for another linux burner)
                Two words for you:

gnomebaker
                brasero

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  have never been able to get K3b to work with MP3 and not got around to looking for another linux burner)
                  Two words for you:

gnomebaker
                  brasero

I may check those out later. I did find a program called sound juicer CD extractor that has no problems converting to mp3. I can then use k3b to burn the mp3 on CDs.

As far as my video issue, well I feel real stupid now. I built the kubuntu computer from parts I had laying around and didn't notice that the nvidia card i used required an additional power plug. Once I hooked up the plug, envy had no issues installing the driver and it worked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    Two words for you:

gnomebaker
                    brasero

I finally gave up on K3b. Never could get it to encode MP3 and worse of all, when I tried to burn a CD, It would lock up my computer requiring a hard reboot. Gnomebacker seems to work fine with no issues and sound juicer handles the mp3 part.
                    CD burning was the last real thing that was keeping me from leaving windows. Hopefully one day k3b will be more stable as it be nice to have one program handle it all.

Comment

Gnomebaker seems to work fine with no issues and sound juicer handles the mp3 part.
                      CD burning was the last real thing that was keeping me from leaving windows. Hopefully one day k3b will be more stable as it be nice to have one program handle it all.
                      Good.

Yes, K3b is a little shaky -- it was hard to make it work in Kubuntu 6.10, but once configured it worked great, and the last time I tried it in Feisty, it doesn't work again. It's getting to be about time for my semi-annual data backup to DVD, so I guess I'm going to have to roll up my sleeves and see what it takes to fix it (again).... :P

Comment

Yep k3b has its, sometimes catastrophic, moments. I only use my vmware winxp for adobe stuff I need for work, and nero when k3b goes for a hike. I haven't rebooted into my resident winxp since nov 2006. If I do it'll probably spend three hours upgrading my anti-virus deffinitions and another hour checking my disks.

WinXP on vmware is faster and more stable. and two clicks away
                        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
                          I've been windows free on my own computer for over three years now. I had to use it at work when I first switched, but I don't work at that horrible place anymore, and my dad still uses it so I have an admin account on his computer, so that when I'm visiting and he wants something computer related done, I can just sign in and get it done, and my last boyfriend felt the need to berate me for using linux and insisting that neither mac or linux is a viable alternative to windows. That wasn't the only thing that caused me to break up with him, but it indicated bigger problems even if I could ignore his ignorance on the topic of good operating systems.

That said, as much as I dislike windows, I can respect someone who uses it after having given a genuine chance to something else. My biggest problem is all the people who insist it's the most awesome thing out there without giving anything else a real chance, or the people who make no effort to try anything else because windows is what "everyone" uses.

All that aside, making the choice between dual booting and just getting rid of windows all together is a heavy choice until you either feel comfortable in the linux, or have a good friend who is willing to be there if you frell something on your computer and can't get at the internet to get yourself some help. When I made the switch, I was quitting windows cold turkey, but I also had a friend who was willing to be on call to help and I'd previously tried dual booting only to find I wasn't booting into the linux enough to actually learn my way around. Three years later, I'm quite happy I made the switch, even if the friend is no longer a friend (not because of the tech support thing though) and I'm going pretty much solo these days.
                          Sorry to hear about your breakup I have the exact opposite situation. My wife used my Linux machine one day when I was gone, I had setup an account for her. When I got back she asked me if I could install Linux on her machine. I guess that is a factor in us being married for sixteen years.

Comment

I got Vista on my Laptop. Gonna get Kubuntu when I get time, and I reinstalled XP on my P3 but not Linux, for some reason both XP AND Linux got wiped off, even though they are were on different hard drives!!
                            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ArkRoyal
                              Sorry to hear about your breakup I have the exact opposite situation. My wife used my Linux machine one day when I was gone, I had setup an account for her. When I got back she asked me if I could install Linux on her machine. I guess that is a factor in us being married for sixteen years.
                              It's cool when you can find someone who not only is okay with your computer preferences but also gets enthusiastic about them. I think her enjoyment of the Linux is just evidence of bigger compatibility between you two, and it is awesome that it's working out for you. I wish you both the best. ^_^

Comment

Total newbe here, been trying different distro's over the last week or two and am staying with kunbuntu to cut my teeth on linux.

I still use xp but thats only so I can access the rapsody media center, it uses an NDAS driver which I cant get working in kunbuntu, if it wasnt for that then I would freely bin xp as everything else I can do with linux, I will miss my call of duty 2 tho
                                --
                                MartC

Comment

Working...
                                X