This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel® HD Audio

It is not hard to find NUMEROUS posts, both within the Kubuntu and Ubuntu Forums, as well as outside these communities, concerning the problems getting the Intel High Definition Audio devices working within Linux. What I'm amazed by, is that this sound codec, is, according to Intel, the sound architecture that is being used in MANY PCs produced today. And it seems also, from reading, that the HDA archictecture has been here for a while. Why then, does there seem to be so little progress within Linux to have functioning support for a sound scheme that is being shipped with most PCs today?

Am I wrong? I have a great laptop, but no sound, and I'm not the only one who's complaining about that.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Intel® HD Audio

except for when i use skype (people don't hear what i say),
    HDA on my laptop (dell precision m65) works well.
    # lspci | grep Audio
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    i know this does not help you.
    but i want to keep an eye on this thread... :P
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

same here; sound works well apart from capture, for which i have to manually adjust settings in both amixer and kmix in order to work...
      @jankushka: perhaps the new Skype 1.4 alpha may yield better results...

Comment

I agree there are a zillion "no sound here" complaints, although the Intel HDA system is working great on my desktop system, both for capturing and for playing.

I don't understand half of it, but here is a lot of information, some of which may be relevant to those having trouble with it:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc...dule=hda-intel

I also noticed in posts on Ubuntu Forum that some laptops apparently need to have sound turned off in BIOS before it will work correctly in (K)Ubuntu.

HTH.

Comment

I got my sound working yesterday. For all who are suffering from sound problems with their Intel HDA,
          look at my post, also in this section, at:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3084096.0

I was so happy when it worked!
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X