This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Share Wireless Internet Via Ethernet

My internet goes into my Modem/Router combo.

The family PC is hooked up via ehternet [wired down].

My PC is via WLAN, my PC is hooked up to my Wired down router hooked up to my other PCs running various OSes, Linux included.

Can I get my internet on all those PCs, I think the Windoze sharing only lets PCs w/ WinXP go on...

Is there an app I can run in my system tray to share the internet so ANY PC w/ Ethernet

I wanna get internet on my other PCs but I dont wanna get a wireless device for them...

For the P3 machine I wanna use as the hub it has XP Pro SP2 [I can change this]. The machines behind it have XP and one has 98. I plan to put Linux on them.
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Share Wireless Internet Via Ethernet

You need to install SAMBA, the Linux program that communicates with other computers via the M$ SMB protocol. There is a HowTo in our forums.

Comment

So put SAMBA on P3? [and to do that put Linux on P3].

Is that the only/hardest step??
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Windoze boxes have SMB installed already. It's called MS networking or something similar (I don't do windoze.) All you need to do is put Samba on your Linux box. Actually, I suspect that all you need on your Kubuntu box is the Samba client if one of your windoze boxes is the server.

Comment

Samba ?...

It's about sharing internet connection, not files, if I understand correctly .

BTW, I've done it quite often, using linux machines as gateways between networks. Unluckily I don't do it with a GUI applet .

I could give you some command lines to modify ip-tables if you like, but, to be honest, IPtables is a hard topic, and I barely understand it now.

I remember doing a lot of reading and being in a illuminate state , understanding the true flow of the network when I wrote that. If no one gives you a GUI app, we can try to adapt this.

Code:
          # Geting the route table ready
          route del default
          route add default gw 132.0.0.254
          route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 gw 192.168.0.1
          # Inicializar as iptables
          /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth2 -o eth1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
          /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth2 -j ACCEPT
          /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth2 -j MASQUERADE
          /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 25 -j DROP
          echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
          Now that I see them, you won't probably need to touch the routing table. Also the third ip table line, just blocks the SMPT port (too many windows machines inside that network).

Javier.

Comment

That sounds all complicated...

I will try to get Kubuntu on the P3 machine when I get time..

Comment

You can also try firestarter

http://www.fs-security.com/

Never used it, but it looks that it can share a connection via GUI.

Javier.

Comment

FS for Linux?

I have opened this thread on lotta forums and here I am gettign the best and fastest replies, and KDE kicks ass!

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                  FS for Linux?
                  Is there a FS for windows?

They are probably very different programs. Linux firewall is built in the kernel, and Windows one are separate programs.

Javier.

Comment

Originally posted by RealG187
                    My internet goes into my Modem/Router combo.

The family PC is hooked up via ehternet [wired down].

My PC is via WLAN, my PC is hooked up to my Wired down router hooked up to my other PCs running various OSes, Linux included.

Can I get my internet on all those PCs, I think the Windoze sharing only lets PCs w/ WinXP go on...

Is there an app I can run in my system tray to share the internet so ANY PC w/ Ethernet

I wanna get internet on my other PCs but I dont wanna get a wireless device for them...

For the P3 machine I wanna use as the hub it has XP Pro SP2 [I can change this]. The machines behind it have XP and one has 98. I plan to put Linux on them.
                    Hi RealG187

Are all the PCs/Laptops using a wired ethernet cards?
                    Are you using or planning to use wireless?

If you are going to stay with a wired network, you need to get a Cable/DSL router.
                    They came as 2 port, 4 port, 8 port wired and 4 port wireless.
                    But first you need a modem with a 8 wire ethernet port, USB modems with not work.
                    From the modem connect an ethernet cable to the Cable/DSL router.
                    The Cable/DSL routers have NAT firewall build in. It is not as good as regular firewall program, but is does work.
                    In the Cable/DSL routers you can block certain ip address.

from the modem connect to the router.
                    then connect from the router to your PC and setup the router (see router manual fro details)
                    after you setup the router you can connect your other PCs and/or Laptops.
                    you should real have to do very much to connect to the internet with them.

This will work for both wired and wireless setup.

if you start with a wired router and later want to go wireless you will have problems setup,
                    because you be having a router and router configure. It will work but you need to know what you are doing.

if you start with a 4 port wireless router and decide you need more wired connection you need to buy a hub or switch, not a router. It will be easier to setup and maintain.

I will a SMC 7008ABR router, it has 8 ports with a print port. That way you can setup a network printer that all your PCs/Laptops can print to. If you have a printer with network port in it you can also use it as a network print. I have 5 PCs and several laptops. I had to buy a wireless router for some of the laptops.
                    That was fun to get it to work right.
                    I should buy a hub and redo my network (someday). It would be easier to maintain.

I hope this info helps
                    Have Fun and read a lot

Good Luck

Comment

I hear firewalls in Routers are better..

Anyways, I already have the routers, the one where the DSL comes in is a modem/router in one, it has 4 ethernet ports and built in wireless. Problem is I cant plugin my downstairs PCs as they dont have wireless, and I dont wanna waste money. My one computer has wireless and is also on the same ethernet network [via second router] with the PCs I also want internet on..

Comment

Hi RealG187

Have you thought about putting in a Wireless PCI card in the PCs?
                        Check the following link for wireless for Ubuntu that are known to work
                        http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HCL [edit] Hardware Compatibility list
                        and check their wireless link

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by lyall
                          Hi RealG187

Have you thought about putting in a Wireless PCI card in the PCs?
                          Check the following link for wireless for Ubuntu that are known to work
                          http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/HCL [edit] Hardware Compatibility list
                          and check their wireless link

Good Luck
                          I really dont wanna add any hard ware, I just wanna use my existing hardware, these are old machines and its not even worth it really...

Comment

K, I finally got Kubuntu on my P3 machine I wish to use as a bridge. I put Kubuntu 6.10, I am gonna install firestarter, it looks like FS is a firewall, is that what I want?

Comment

Originally posted by javierrivera
                              You can also try firestarter

http://www.fs-security.com/

Never used it, but it looks that it can share a connection via GUI.

Javier.
                              i told fs to but it dont work, i cant even share files or rdc the two, its like they arnt networked! they both can access da wired down routers web-based config tool...

Comment

Working...
                              X