This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B and MAD MP3 support

I was trying to burn some CDs and usually just burned MP3 CDs; however, I now have a need to burn audio CDs... Usually I use K3b, but it says I need MAD MP3 support to do so.... I found the source code, but I guess Kubuntu does not come with compilers (at least configure didn't find gcc or anything like it...). Is there anywhere I can get a package for MAD MP3 support for kubuntu or is there a plan to get one.....? Or maybe some other tool that will allow the burning of audio CDs from MP3s? Thank you for any assistance....

Re: K3B and MAD MP3 support

Verify that you have the GNU C Compiler installed (Adept Manager). There are several versions in Adept.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You don't need a compiler to install the software you need to burn mp3s with K3b. Please take a look at this page at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki and follow the links. You can install the codecs that you need from Medibuntu. To learn how, check the Medibuntu page at the Ubujntu community help wiki.

If you really want to compile things, use Adept to install the "build-essential" package. The description makes it sound as if that package is only for Linux Gurus, but it actually just has everything you need to compile ANYTHING.

Comment

HOw come [K]Ubuntu doesnt come with MP3?
        My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

It's a question of software patents.

Comment

If I can get it via an installer package why cant I get it w/ my Linux?
            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Because the guys who run Medibuntu aren't as tempting a target for lawsuits as some other people might be. Also, I presume that the site is located in a country that does not recognize software patents.

Comment

When I get xine it says connecting to archive.ubuntu.org, isnt that Ubuntu's server? Cant someone get sued??

Comment

I'm not sure that xine has mp3 support built in either. If it does, there must have been an oversight on the part of the Ubuntu developers. I know that the subject of Restricted Formats has been a continuing concern for at least the last three or four releases.

Comment

it does..

Also Banshee has MP3, could they get sued?

What about:
                    there are lots of pieces of software that get away w/ it how come these people dont get sued?:
                    winamp
                    apple
                    real player
                    vlc
                    venturer
                    samsung
                    sony

Comment

How do you know that they are "getting away with it"? Maybe they're paying the royalty. You will note that with the exception of vlc NONE of those companies/projects is available under Linux. Moreover, installing mp3 capability for Amarok is as difficult as checking a box in a popup. What a terrible imposition!

Comment

Its doesnt matter if they are avaliavble under Linux, they have the MP3 plugin!

Comment

And YOU pay the royalty as part of the price for whatever you bought that had mp3 (or whatever) installed out of the box.

There's also the question of the distinction between "Free as in beer" and "Free as in speech". Google it!

Comment

I never paid for

Banshee
                            winamp
                            real player
                            vlc

These are all [or have versions that are] freeware.

Comment

I installed libmad0, libk3b2, and libk3b2-mp3 before I got it working. Make sure you add Medibuntu to your repo.
                              Philippines doesn't and, hopefully, never recognize software patents. Our gov't also has a distro based on Debian called Bayanihan Linux that includes proprietary codes by default, but never had enough time to install it on my system, besides, Kubuntu/Ubuntu has a much larger community.
                              Once I have a portable player that supports OGG, I'll be delete all my MP3s.
                              Hope your K3B works... goodluck!
                              Dax Solomon Umaming<br />http://blog.knightlust.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X